Chapter 8 - Escaping reality

The sun rays shone down on me and I had to cover my face with my palm to protect myself from them. My body felt stiff all over yet I had the best sleep in so many days. I opened my eyes to see Manik staring up at me, his almond shaped eyes gazing in awe, his head still on my shoulder and arms wrapped around me. His eyes looked lighter under the brightness and his flawless skin glowing was almost enviable.

Wonder how much time has he been simply staring like this. The edges of my lips curled up into a smile and I blushed a little.. He had always told me found it fascinating to watch me sleep and to see him staring at me wordlessly like this made me feel shy all of a sudden. ''Umm.. Good morning Mr Malhotra..?''

His eyes narrowed a little at first and then he immediately sprang back ''Wait.. You're real?!''

''Huh?'' I had no better response as I watched him breath heavily, as if he had just seen a ghost.

''Why were you touching me?'' He accused, crossing his arms over his chest and behaving almost like a bashful Bollywood heroine waking up next to the hero after a drunk night and panicking about her chastity being probably exploited.

''Firstly, I was just trying to take you back into the bedroom because you fell asleep here last night, and secondly, it was you holding me so tight..I couldn't even move.'' I countered, glaring back at him.

''... and Tara?'' He asked, this time his tone full of concern ''Don't tell me you left her alone in the bedroom..''

The colour on my face surely drained out because Manik's expression looked at me forebodingly ''The bed there is so high Nandini.. How could you?''

''I...I never knew I would end up sleeping somewhere else all night.'' I pushed away my shawl and could feel Manik's footsteps behind me as I ran upto the bedroom, faintly aware of some movement in the house as people began waking up.

''Tara!'' Manik exclaimed and in a moment overtook me, pulling Tara into his arms. She had been balancing precariously on the edge of the bed, trying to get down and Manik had saved her in the nick of time.

''Daddy.. whel wel you? I wash alone.. Mummy wash also not thel..'' She sobbed, wrapping her arms around his neck. ''Sshh.. Sorry baby, I'm here now. Daddy is very bad.. Won't leave you alone again.''

He gave me a pointed look, and I knew he was seething in anger but didn't want to express it in front of Tara. One minute more and she would have a nasty fall.

''Tara baby.. I'm here..Come lets go and do brushie?'' I held out my arms remorsefully, wanting to feel my baby and assure myself she was okay.

''Its okay.. I'll do it.'' Manik cut me off and walked off with our daughter, leaving me feeling awful about myself.

---------------

~How to stop time : kiss.~

''Kya naam hai unka?''

''Kiska?'' I looked around and then back at the lady applying mehendi on my hands, confused for a moment whether she was actually talking to me or not.

She laughed and then nodded towards Tara, who sat beside me, toying with my phone ''Iske papa? Naam nahi likhun unka haath pe?''