Chapter 5 - Wishes coming true?

A/N - Sorry for the delay. Had exams, fell sick and finally managed to write this when I'm on vacation. Please ignore typos.. Didn't have time to edit.

-----------

I sat, next to the large window frame in the living room, my hands curled around the big cup of coffee Mukti made me as I absently gazed at the steady downpour.. the way the huge drops of rain crashed against the ground. The state of my heart was no better. It was shattering a little more with each passing second, just like those perfect raindrops when they crashed onto the ground.

And why not? All the dark memories I had left behind were threatening to haul me back into the darkness and I was left to fight with them all alone.

It all began with catching sight of that hospital. As Harshad drove us back from the airport, I saw that dreadful building.. The same place Manik had spent months of coma in..The same place I lost my baby boy.

The amount of grief I had suffered in there was tremendous and I didn't even want to think about those days. I fought with all the overwhelming emotions by reminding myself of my angel Tara's birth over there. But how much ever I tried thinking positively, the bitter past had me hurting and the only person who could heal me was miles away from me.

''Nandini, beta.. Come and join us na.. Wahan baith ke kya soch rahi ho?'' Uncle Rajiv suddenly called out to me, breaking my depressing line of thought. I looked back at him and shook my head, forcing my lips to lift up into a small polite smile. Harshad and Mukti sat beside him on the large couch while Tara sat on his lap, happily munching on cookies from his hand and rambling about her playschool to all of them.

''Samjha karo Dad...Bina mausam barsaat dekh kar apney Romeo husband ki yaad aagayi hogi ..'' Mukti looked at me and teased while Harshad laughed. I simply smiled in response and turned my face away. She wasn't completely wrong. I had been thinking about Manik.. But it wasn't the rain that reminded me about him, he was always there on my mind.

It had been 2 hours since I entered my old house and met Uncle, and feelings of guilt were also dragging me down along with the past. He'd feel so betrayed if he comes to know I met Uncle.. He'd never join me here.

''You should've bought him along. I have to make it up to him too.'' I had zoned out for the second time and Uncle's regretful voice made me look up once again. I gulped nervously and he noticed. ''Manik hasn't forgiven me, right?'' He asked in a crestfallen manner.

''Woh.. Actually.. Uncle..''

The doorbell rang just then, and I ran to open the door, sending a million silent thanks to whoever it was. for saving me from that uncomfortable situation.

''Nandu!!!!!''

I was immediately being crushed by two people. ''Cabir, Navya.. Guys, let me breathe!!'' I exclaimed, laughing at their excitement and joy. They finally left me and we stared at each other's flushed faces happily for a moment. Though we were very happy to see each other, Manik's absence left a void that couldn't be filled and somewhere, it affected everyone.. They had been Manik's friends first afterall and had known him much before I did.

''Cabil uncle.. Navaa aunty!!'' My baby entered our little reunion at the right moment and the entire attention got diverted to her. Cabir and Navya picked her up and hovered around her, pulling her cheeks and giving her innumerable kisses.

My phone suddenly began ringing and I squealed in joy looking at the name that flashed on the screen. Manik.
Cabir realised who it was from that instant joyful glow on my face and grabbed the phone from my hand before I could answer it.