Chapter 10- Acceptance in Delhi

Amit, despite what villagers deemed him to be, was very talented in playing the flute.

In a country like India, where everyone raced to become doctors and engineers, he dreamed of becoming the best flutist this nation could ever get.

He dreamed of playing flute in a stadium full of silent crowd, who would applaud for him heartily at the end and would rejoice in his melodies.

This was something he dreamed; not that he could achieve anything living in this village where people looked at him with a disgusted notion and considered him filthy. Despite playing better than other flutists, he was never allowed to take part in sacred and auspicious ceremonies; that made him even more furious.

He wanted to get out of this village as soon as possible. But as luck would have it, despite him having a degree in music from some local college in Kanpur, and immense efforts on his part to have a job in some city; his every attempt went awry.

Not only, but he also wanted to take away his parents from this place.

The only job his father could get here was cleaning other people's toilets and picking up garbage from the streets that other people shamelessly threw without an ounce of remorse in their eyes. But, if by any chance, someone asked them to put those litters where they belonged- in dustbins, they took it against their so-called status.

Like any other sane citizen, where many people raised their voices, and many others voiced out their opinions by raising their pens, he was appalled with this side of his nation.

But, one thing he made sure was that nobody laid a finger on him or his family. When tried, he came out as very intimidating with all his physical appearance and his authoritative voice. He worked as a history teacher in an only school in this village. People didn't have a choice; moreover, children adored him to no ground.

*

He was sitting in between the tranquility of nature, vibrant sunset, and chirruping of birds, which was his cocoon. He often came here to play his flute. It was the only way his negative thoughts vanished; what replaced those negative thoughts was hope that he too will have a dynamic and impartial road ahead.

He poured out all his complaints in the form of his symphonies to God as if this was the only medium where he could connect himself to a different world- the one where everything was at peace.

He played until stars and the moon made their appearance, and birds took shelter in their nests.

*

What made him come out of his beautiful stupor was Aamir's hurried and distant voice, which was desperately and repeatedly calling out to him.

He opened his eyes and looked around. Sure enough, Aamir was coming his way, and what came out as strange was- him running. He got up and waited for his best friend to approach.

When he drew near, Amit saw an envelope clasped firmly in his right hand. Before he could ask Aamir anything of it, he was thrown off guard when his non-Dalit best friend swept him off his feet and started twirling him, literally.

What the heck? He thought.

Before he could shout at his friend, he was thrown on his feet again with a thud. His feet vibrated with this act. He ignored it and folded his arms across his chest.

When Aamir didn't make any efforts to tell him anything other than smiling mysteriously, Amit took it upon himself to ask him all about his sudden strange behavior.

Again, when he opened his mouth to speak, Aamir spoke in a very animated tone.

"Are you just going to stand there and look at me as if I have grown two heads? Or are you going to speak?"

"Never mind, don't say anything, just have a look at this. I'm sure you will be speechless after reading this!" He again became excited.

Not that he was speaking anything Amit thought. But took that letter from his friend's hold nonetheless, and unfolded it with great precision.

Meanwhile, Aamir bounced on his feet impatiently. "Open it already. Don't play with it,"

"Calm down, Aamir. What's gotten into you? And stop bouncing, it's distracting me," he finally stated with irateness.

"Oh, just forget it," Aamir snatched the envelope from Amit's hold and continued with his rant without paying any attention to his demands whatsoever, "I'll open it myself and tell you the greatest news of the century!"

And, he started reading out the contents of the letter out loud.

Mr. Amit Meena,

We are glad to inform you that your application for the assistant music professor at Delhi University has been accepte...

He couldn't continue as Amit snatched that precious letter from him with an eagerness that made Aamir chuckle.

He willed his eyes to read every word of the letter faster. His demeanor was desperate and his eyes were in a hurry.

When he was finally finished with reading, he did the same to Aamir; he twirled him around and laughed like a lunatic.

Both were rejoicing and celebrating this joyous moment in their own ways. Amit was happy that he finally would be out of this hell hole, and Aamir was happy in his best friend's happiness.

After their initial surprised reaction died down, Amit played the happiest melody he could find and Aamir danced on it like a madman.

*

"Do Ma and Paa know?" Amit asked as they headed towards their home.

"Of course, I told them before you," he answered enthusiastically.

They continued with their chat as they tottered along the path to go home.

After all, Amit was going to Delhi in two weeks time, finally.

~*~