Chapter 54- Past Is the Proof People Survived

Eternity. That's how he felt as he made his way toward the hill.

It all sounded unreal to him.

Who would have thought, saving a Delhite would give him the opportunity to see the only girl he'd ever fallen in love with? It was the only thing he was looking forward to. As nervous and unsure as he was, his eyes and heart were frantic for just a glance of Avni.

The sun was dipping low and was trying to merge with the horizon eagerly as the time approached near. He saw the green hill and saw the golden glow of the sun. He saw the lush green trees surrounding it, and then he saw her- the girl with golden hair and a golden heart.

She was sitting on the far end of the cliff. Her golden curls were swaying with the light cold breeze. Her attention was fully on the sun that was about to set and be done for the day.

At first, he thought of watching her from afar by standing in the corner. He didn't want to disturb her when she was so engrossed in her own little world- in her own thoughts.

But his feet couldn't stop from moving toward her. They were being pulled by the strong feelings he held for her, just like an iron nail was pulled toward the magnet. And soon he found himself standing behind her.

His shadow was the first thing Avni saw, and she looked up to see who'd come to join her in this silent place. In all the times she had been here, no-body had ever broken her peace. So she was quite irked by the shadow that was trying to disturb her from watching the most beautiful phenomena of the universe.

It was only at this time the sun got to meet with the horizon, and be immersed in it for the rest of the night. She was ready to see yet another sunset, where the sun let go of its heat and became serene, and subtle, and soothing.

But, when her eyes landed on that one person she was least expecting to see, all her peace turned into the whirlpool of a rumpus.

The person standing in front of her looked more mature. It seemed as if his honey colored eyes had gone more observant during this time.

"Mind if I join you here? I haven't seen the sunset in four years."

Amit spoke, and Avni gawked at him as if he wasn't real and was just a figment of her imagination. Because... How could that happen?

"I gave the gift to Vishnu you'd bought for him." Amit blurted randomly when Avni didn't reply to his question.

She looked at him silently without expressing any kind of emotions. 

Amit's heart and all the other emotions twisted together in a knot. The insecure part made him rethink his decision, as it said, 'you shouldn't have come here, Amit. She doesn't even care for you.'

Still, the positive part of him took it as a sign, and he went to sit down next to her. He was going to give it time.

"Why?"

Avni finally managed to ask when she felt his arm brush against her, and she realized he was really here indeed. Her brain was catching up on every statement late, and she could only comprehend his first statement about the sunsets.

"Why, what, Avni?" Amit spoke softly as he sat beside her.

"Why haven't you seen the setting sun?"

She was still looking at him and was now clutching her hands together as her heart started beating chaotically in her chest. She was trying to put up a calm facade but was failing pathetically.

"Maybe, I was waiting for this day all along," Amit spoke and gathered enough courage to look at her properly.

She took his breath away. Her soft features were still the same as he'd seen four years ago. Her grey eyes, at the time flabbergasted, were even more beautiful than his imagination.