Chapter 22- An Alien Specimen

Amit was on edge after last night.

As he left his college campus, he was trying to make strategies to avoid this trip.

Maybe he'll just pretend he is sick? Or maybe make an excuse of some paperwork coming up suddenly.

He was thinking of doing something along those lines, trying to come up with a valid excuse that would make him avoid going to the club. However, Avni's endless calls and messages made him take a U-turn from his thoughts; he went to buy some cool clothes straight from his work, as Avni had instructed countless times.

As he walked through the narrow streets of Delhi, he smiled remembering the conversation with Avni where she'd ordered him authoritatively.

"Don't wear that pathetic formal shirt and pants or even those sweatpants of yours, Amit. Wear something cool for a change,"

With that, he'd raked his hands through his hair in frustration and had let out an incensed sigh at her tenacious behavior.

"Are you listening to me? Don't forget to pick me up at seven o'clock. I'm serious."

"How many times are you going to repeat the same thing, Avni? It's already the fifteenth time, including of all the times you disturbed me at my work and irritated me with those same messages," he'd replied a bit exasperatedly. But, of course, the person on the other end was not to be affected. He could hear her smile as she replied, "Good, that will remind you of not ditching me," and had ended the call, just like that.

He was broken out if his thoughts, when a call from his best friend flashed on his phone's screen. At first, he smiled, but then his smile dropped and he muttered, "This is not going to end well," under his breath.

As expected, when he told his best friend about his plan for the evening, Aamir muttered obscenities loudly that made Amit flinch.

"I'm losing my friend here!" He exclaimed dramatically.

He could easily imagine Aamir throwing his hands up in the air in mocking frustration. That made him shake his head in amusement.

"You never agreed to this when I begged you countless times to get drunk with me! Please tell me I'm still your best friend, and I'm not losing here to an unknown girl." He again cried dramatically.

"Oh, shut up! Stop with your drama. You're not losing to anyone. I just couldn't say no. I didn't have a choice," he stated, clarifying himself.

"Someone is deeply in love! I can tell," Aamir stated in a serious manner.

"Don't be rubbish!" Amit ignored his statement, "Maybe, it's finally 'The Delhi effect'." He grinned, dismissing the topic altogether.

"Okay, okay. Maybe you're right, it can be that. But, whatever the case, enjoy yourself, Amit. That's what I wanted you to do, even when you were here,"

He knew when to say the exact words to make him at ease. That's what best friends were for, and Amit was lucky to have one.

"I will." He replied.

Before his emotions could take over, he ended the call and entered a decent looking shop.

*

He was out of the shop in no less than half an hour, and was now at his home, enjoying a cup of ginger tea in peace, when his phone chimed, notifying him of yet another message. As he unlocked the screen, he found another message from Avni.

Did you buy anything for tonight?

PS- You don't have all the damn time in the world! Get here ASAP. A girl shouldn't wait for a guy!