Chapter 29- Actions Speak Louder Than Words

"Yes, Aamir. I think I might tell her tonight," Amit spoke over the phone.

He was sitting in his living room again, telling Aamir of his plans for tonight. It was Avni's twenty-third birthday, and Meera and Amit had planned a surprise party for her.

"Well, if it wasn't obvious. I told you, she was going to be my competition. Guess, I'd been right all along," Aamir reiterated jokingly.

It had been four months since Avni came to his class and turned his world upside down. It had been four months where he had prepared his heart for a new feeling, and four months where he was smiling more than he ever had in his twenty-four years of life. It had been very different, yet joyous four months of his life, and he could feel the change from within.

"She is not a competition, Meer. No one will take your place, and you know it," Amit chided him lightly.

"I know," he continued while rolling his eyes, "but to be honest, I want to see Avni's reaction. I'm sure it's going to be the highlight of the evening."

At this point, Aamir just didn't know Avni from what Amit had told him about her. He knew her for what she actually was, as he'd the chance of interacting with her over the phone many times. She'd become a friend in this short span, whom he liked to tease every once in a while. He was happy for them both, and he didn't hesitate to show it by calling them often.

"I'm nervous for some reason. How in the world people say 'I love you'? It sounds so difficult." He chuckled nervously.

"Difficult than talking to your Paa?" Aamir laughed at his discomfort.

"Oh, definitely." Amit let out a nervous breath.

"You're being a weakling, Amit. Never thought I would hear this from you,"

"I wasn't prepared for this too. But, things happen, and heart takes over." His arm was resting on the armrest of the couch, and he was absentmindedly picking at the thread of his pajama bottoms.

"True. So, when will you be going to her apartment for the party?"

"In the evening. Until then, I'm going to make sure to not speak with her. She senses everything, Meer. It's difficult to keep anything a secret."

Avni was very influential when it came to secrets. Amit always lost his battle to her. It was as if she saw right through his soul, and knew something was bothering him or he was trying to hide his emotions.

"Which secret are you talking about?"

A very familiar voice that had managed to make his heart beat anew every time he heard it, resounded through the walls of his living room.

Funny, how he hadn't heard the main door open and shut as he was so engrossed in the memory of her.

At hearing her voice, Amit whipped his head towards the door with shock and stood up from the couch. What is she doing here? Amit thought to himself as Avni walked toward him.

"Are you talking to Aamir?" Avni stated after she came to stand beside him.

Amit nodded. He couldn't even speak. He could hear faint sounds of Aamir in the background, saying, "Told you. Weakling." But, he didn't pay any attention to it.

"Good, hand me your phone. Let me have a little chat with him," she demanded and held out her hand to him.

Amit handed her his phone without a word. He was still not over his shock.

"You're taking my time with him. Go and play in your field, Aamir," she didn't greet him, just started with her ever-present orders.

"I'm sure you're the one who came between him and me. I'm just making up for the lost time," Aamir replied and shook his head amusedly at her behavior.