Luminosity

"The biggest mistake anyone could make is to assume that I'm a normal, sane person."

Her eyes bore into me, a mosaic of different colors reflecting off those burnt brown eyes. They were the color of polished mahogany, a glowing conglomerate of red, orange, and hazel. They were the shade of cold bourbon on a sweltering June night, the shade of a warm fireplace on Christmas eve. 

I smirked at her facetiously, meeting her pensive, melancholy eyes with a capricious smile.

 "Believe me, Elise No one ever assumes that."

She looked away, casting her luminous gaze in a path across the pavement on which we strolled. 

She then faced the sky, halting between between two streetlights so as to illuminate the abandoned alley before her in a murky haze.

If she had been anyone else, I would have surmised that the dazzling light emanating from her eyes was merely a reflection of the moon. I would have shrugged it off as another trick of the eye or of the late hour, but I was no fool. I knew better.

She crossed her arms, sinking away from the world. Sinking away from me. Drowning in a sadness I couldn't even begin to fathom, of a severity I couldn't even attempt to imagine. 

All that remained were my own words echoing in my own head, echoing off the walls of the empty buildings enveloping us, echoing off the walls of my own godforsaken skull like the chant of some sadistic specter. 

"Believe me, Elise. No one ever assumes that."

--------------

Written for the Thinky Ink-Scribers Club, based on the prompt "expect the unexpected."

Also, ten metaphorical points to whoever can guess why I chose the name Elise for my character.