Chapter 8 (Wednesday-August 19th)

Korrine's POV

I'm sitting down with my momma and Angel, and we're having a little bonding session. I love doing this with them. Between me being in school, cheerleading, and my friends, my momma working and being with her girls, and Angel going to school and then he after school program, we barely have time to just chill together, but my momma gets off early on Wednesday nights, and we're taking advantage of it.

She lightly starts to paint my toe nails a floral green color while Angel brushes her hair. "How is school going?"

"Mommy, it is so fun! I love it," Angel says, grinning widely.

"That's great, baby. What about you?" she asks.

I shrug. "It's good. It's only the second week."

"That's good, and you never know.. A lot can happen in the first week, first month, or first semester. Just keep your grades on track."

"You're right-"

I'm interrupted when the door opens and slams close. Michael comes storming through the living room and then straight to his room without even saying anything to any of us, which really seems to make Angel upset. The look on his face lets me know that something is on his mind or he's just irritated.

"Boy, what the hell is wrong with you? Slamming my door like you're crazy!" my momma yells.

"Don't yell at him, mommy," Angel whines. She's always sticking up for Michael. Her memory of our dad kind of faded since she was so young and it's been three years, so Michael kind of took his place.

"I'll go see what's up with him," I say, getting up before she does and heading down the hallway. I let out a deep breath and then I open his room door to see he's pacing back and forth. I lay my head on the door frame and watch him for a little while. He looks beyond stressed. I don't know what happened, but it obviously has him upset. "What's wrong with you?" I ask.

He starts clenching his fist. "Nothing!"

I roll my eyes. "You know that's not true. Now what's wrong with you?"

He stops pacing and glares at me. "Nothing, damn. Get yo' ass out!"

Did he really just yell at me like that? He has never actually kicked me out or looked at me with so much rage before. I shake my head and leave, slamming his door behind me. Then, just to make it known that I'm mad, I slam my door too. He can be so damn rude sometimes. This is what started as soon as he joined the gang. He brings all this tension and animosity he brings into this house out of the blue. I look at the time, and it's 8:47 p.m. How the hell can you come in the house with an attitude at this time?

"Y'all gonna get enough of slamming my damn doors!" my momma shouts. I just put my pajamas on and hop in my bed, letting my anger put me to sleep.

(Friday-August 21st)

Friday morning, I'm up early. Not only am I up, but I'm already dressed and ready to go. Yesterday, Mike had the audacity to leave me without warning, causing me to have to ask Jessie to come get me. Then he had avoided me all day at school. He even stayed out extra late after the game and snuck in the house around five this morning. That's actually why I'm up so early. He woke me up while he was roaming through the house. I know damn well I'm not going to be late to school today just because he wants to act stupid..

I slip out of my room and make my way into the kitchen so that I can make something to eat. To my surprise, he's sitting at the table with his head in his hands. It's not like I'm mad at him anymore because I'm not one to hold grudges, and I can tell that he's going through something by the way he looks, but I'm not going to let him know that I'm not until he attempts to man up. I just turn around and start to walk back to my room.