Chapter 17 (Wednesday)

Korrine's POV

I'm sitting inside Trey's car with my head against the window, thinking about what just happened. How can Marcus and Jessie both act like that. They act like I'm some trophy and both of them want to throw me on their shelf for everyone to see, but I'm a person, and I have feelings of my own. They act like they don't understand that.

"Ren, where I'm taking you?" Treys asks as he pulls out of the school's parking lot.

"I need to go on Hillcrest to Jessie's house."

He nods and starts driving exactly where I told him without asking anymore questions. This is exactly why I asked him. I don't feel like explaining anything to anyone. Jada and Dejah would've questioned me the whole way to Jessie's house, wanting to know every detail, and the more I would've told them about it, the angrier I would've gotten, and I need to approach him calmly. I just hope his house is where he is or this would be for nothing.

Trey parks across the street from Jessie's house, and I take a good look before I get out. There are several cars in his driveway, but none of them are his parents' cars, so I don't know what's going on. They must be at work, and if so, who the hell do all these cars belong to, and why are they all parked in Jessie's yard? Not only are there several but there are more than twenty dudes just chilling around his door dressed in all blue from their bandanas, hats, shirts, and down to their shoes. I look at Trey to see him looking angry. "What's wrong with you?" I ask.

He shakes his head and mumbles some stuff to himself as he reaches for his glove department. Next thing I know, he's pulling out a clip.

"What are you doing with a gun, Trey?" I ask. My heart is skipping beats by the second.

Instead of answering me, he takes the safety off the gun and reaches to open the door.

I quickly grab his cast and pull him back. "I'm not going to ask you again. What are you doing?"

He lets the door handle go and sits back. "Those some of the niggas that jumped me that night. This that Locos gang. I'll kill all these niggas," he says sounding as serious as a heart attack.

His words put me into shock. He's not playing any games right now. I know that just seeing them again and being so close to them is making him get angrier and angrier. I would be ready to jump out and get back at all of them if they jumped me and left me to die too. I look over at everybody in the yard again and notice they're all Hispanic and are a mixture of older and young guys. From all the way over here, I can still feel a bad vibe coming from them. If they're in a gang, then again, why the hell are they in Jessie's yard? Jessie doesn't deal with gang violence.

"I'm 'bout to handle my business," he says.

"Trey, no. Please let it go for now. I have too much respect for Jessie's parents to just allow you to kill some people outside their house, and don't do stuff like this when I'm around you anyway," I beg.

He hits the steering wheel in frustration. "You know what, do what you gotta do here, and hurry up 'cause if you ain't back in the amount of time I can refrain myself, I don't know what's gonna happen," he warns.

"Well, you-"

"And I'm not leaving you here, so just go do what you gotta do."

I've also learned over the past few days that even though he's always cracking jokes, when he's being serious, he means everything he says. I nod and get out of the car before he changes his mind. I head over to the yard and try to enter, but one of them stops me. He's about my height and looks close to my age. "What business you got here?" he asks.