Chapter 37 (Friday)

Korrine's POV

An uncontrollable gasp escapes my lips after hearing the doctor say that Trey has type O blood. What are the odds? That's my blood type. It's also Angel's, and we inherited it from our dad, but my momma and Michael have type A. I'm a universal donor, and if I had to, I would give to Michael, Angel, my momma, Jada, Dejah, Michael, Jessie, and Marcus, so why not Trey? He wouldn't exactly be in this situation if it wasn't for the mess me and Jessie caused, and Jessie's the one who shot him. Helping out by donating just a few pieces of my kidney is the least I can do. I swear I'm the healthiest person I know anyway.

"Momma-"

"No, Korrine. You're in the hospital right now yourself. The last thing you need is to be on an operating table," she says, narrowing her eyes at me, as if telling me to let it go.

"I'm fine, but Trey isn't. He could die, momma!" I yell as tears start to fill my eyes.

"Ren, you have the blood type?" Marcus asks, hope evident in his voice. Everyone turns their head and eyes me.

"Yes," I say, allowing them to let out a sigh of relief. As quickly as I just made them feel better, I'm about to make them feel even worse than they felt a while ago.

"Thank you, Jesus! Can you help save my baby?" Trey's momma asks, walking over to me and grabbing my hands in hers. She looks me in my eyes, but I'm too ashamed to hold her gaze, so I lower my head.

"You don't want to save Trey, Ren?" Marcus asks.

"I told her no!" my momma says, placing her hands on her hips. "I'm sorry, and I know how it feels to lose someone or to feel like you're about to lose your child, but my daughter is not healthy enough for surgery, no matter how much she thinks she is. She hasn't even been released from the hospital yet, and I can't risk her life," she explains.

Trey's mother face drops once again, and all I see is sadness and pain. It hurts my heart because I know that I can help her. I know that I can give Trey what he needs, and it's something that I'm not hesitant to do. "Momma, I'm fine. I promise you I feel as healthy as I can be. Trey dying will kill me just as much as it would if it was Jada, Marlon, or Jessie. He doesn't deserve to die like this."

"Please, if everyone will just take a deep breath and calm down. Trey failing to receive this kidney does not mean he will die tonight or tomorrow or even sooner than a month. He might wake up in the morning, but we just can't be sure. Like I said, we can put him on a transplant list, and he can receive a kidney in due time. This is a hard decision to make, and it shouldn't be made in a matter of minutes," the doctor says. "I think what everyone needs is a good night rest and to meet again to weigh out your options another time."

Everyone nods in agreement and starts to gather their belongings. My momma leaves my side and goes to grab her purse. "I'm going to sign your release papers," she says.

I don't understand why she's so upset that I suggested helping Trey. If this was Michael, she wouldn't even think twice about me giving him my kidney. You don't not help someone just because they aren't blood.

I feel arms being wrapped around my body, and I automatically know who it is without even having to open my eyes. "I'm going to change her mind, Marcus," I tell him, laying my head on his shoulder.

"I understand what yo' mom's saying. I would never make you do something that would put you at risk no matter what. I want what's best for you too," he says, kissing my forehead.

"Go get dressed so that we can go, Korrine," my momma says.

I roll my eyes and hug Marcus tighter. "I love you."