Chapter 15 (Saturday)

Korrine's POV

It was the ending of my first cheerleading practice, and I was worn out. Cheerleading in high school is nothing like cheering in middle school. To make it worse, Michael was making me walk home because he had some hood business to handle that day, and he didn't go to school.

I sat on the bus stop's bench, and about two minutes later, a car pulled up in front of me. I was always told to watch my surroundings, so I slyly looked up and examined the car. In the driver's seat was a cute boy about my age, but I think he was a year older than me because I had seen him in a few of Michael's classes. I could see him clearly because he had the passenger's seat window down.

"You want a ride, Korrine? I'm going to yo' house to see yo' brother anyway," he says.

If he hung out with my brother and his friends, I must could trust him a little, and I didn't know how long it was going to take that bus to come, so I nodded and got inside. I quickly put the seat belt on, and then I smiled at him. "Thanks."

"No problem. By the way, I'm Marcus." He shined his pearly white teeth covered with metal braces while he ran one hand through his thick, long curls.

"Nice to meet you," I said. The ride was quiet and a bit awkward, making me feel nervous. I hated silence. "Um...why are you going to my house?"

He suddenly tensed. "We're just gonna be chilling and stuff."

I nodded, just going along with it. Michael always had his new crowd of friends over. Nothing new. Especially since he got in that little thing they call a gang. My momma was so disappointed, but when our dad died, I don't know what had gotten into him. I was extremely hurt too, but I didn't start rebelling and acting out.

"You real pretty," he said as he shyly kept his eyes on the road and away from mine.

I could feel the blush rise to my cheeks. I looked down at my outfit and shrugged. I didn't have on anything that was too cute. I was only fourteen. My focus wasn't really on my style. A clingy hoodie and tight fitting jeans with my hair in a high bun was enough for me. "Thanks. I like your hair," I admitted. It was thick with millions of curls and looked real soft. I wanted to run my fingers through them the moment I saw them.

He just smiled again, which made his deep dimples even more visible. He was super cute and seemed like the nice, shy type. I was surprised I had never met him before.

Once he pulled up in front of my house, I grabbed my backpack and my cheer bag, getting ready to get out. "I really appreciate the ride. I bet that bus still hasn't made it there," I joked. Then I leaned over and pecked his check. The feeling of his curls on my forehead had confirmed my thoughts. They were super soft.

We both got out of the car and walked up to the door. It opened before I could even put my key inside the hole. Standing in front of us was my brother and all his hood friends. "What you doing with my sister, man?" he asked, pulling me towards him.

Marcus shrugged his shoulders nervously. "She was waiting at the bus stop alone, and it was getting late. I didn't want to leave her there," he explained.

Michael and his friends started to laugh. "Calm down, little nigga. I'm just messing with you. How you feeling?"

"I'm doing alright," Marcus said, still avoiding everybody's eye contact. I could feel myself smiling. He was nothing like them, and it wasn't hard for me to tell.

"Well, we gonna be ready for you in the back in about ten minutes. You make it after three rounds, and you in," Mike said lowly, most likely so that I wasn't able to hear, but I did.