Learning Languages

Hal had woken up late, and was greeted by the smell of cooking meat and roasting tomatoes. He smiled in his half asleep state, and sat up in bed, without his shirt on.
Carol must have been here cooking!
Suddenly a realisation hit him and he literally flew out of bed and threw on his uniform. Rushing out of his room, on the ground this time, he stared at the open door across from him. His daughter was awake already!
Looking out to the kitchen he was greeted by an even stranger sight. His little ten year old daughter was plating up two plates of breakfast. She grinned and waved at him, signing some words of greeting before remembering he didn't understand.
" Ummm Good Morning Kee, you made breakfast," Hal noted awkwardly.
He saw her shooting him a ' duh ' look as she handed him his much larger plate. His stomach practically howled in hunger as he stared in surprise at the plate. Sausages, with cooked tomatoes, buttery fresh toast coffee.
He noted that her plate was tiny, and didn't include meat, instead was just tomatoes on toast, and she had juice in her hand.
She smiled at him and gestured to his plate with a ' go ahead ' motion.
Hal wasn't sure about it but he took a bit of his food. His eyes lit up at the amazing flavour, and he savoured the taste, his stomach begging for another bite.
He gazed at his daughter, who had her head bowed, eyes closed, and hadn't touched her plate. Suddenly she opened her eyes, straightened and practically lunged on her food, chomping down on her toast and tomato in tiny nibbling bites. She is still seem to be bale to eat large bites or eat quickly, on account of her scar area being around her throat. Possibly she'd had trauma to her throat but she didn't seem to mind, and made slow but steady work on her food.
She was staring at him hopefully and Hal gave her a thumbs up.
" This food is awesome kid! My girl is a cooking protégée!" Hal commented in his booming loud voice, meaning every word.
Kee grinned back at him, happy with his answer, and knowing that she'd been praised for her cooking before.

A knock at the door made Hal jump up from his seat and pull open the front door happily. Kee watched from the kitchen as an attractive woman walked through the door and kissed Hal on the cheek. She grimaced, this better not be a situation like her mother and her father had had!
The woman caught sight of her at the table and trotted over quickly and squeezed her in a tight hug that made Kee stiffen uncomfortably, why was this strange lady hugging her? Kee hated hugs from anyone but Hal, or her mum!
" Why hello there young Kee! Hal told me you'd be coming to live here and I've been looking forward to meeting you!" The woman crooned happily.
Kee awkwardly signed a greeting back.
( the bold is what has been said in sign language )
Hello, nice to meet you, Kee signed.
To her shock, the woman signed back at her without hesitation. Her sign language was slightly wrong but Kee could discern the meaning.
Hello! I am Carol, Your father's girlfriend! I have a feeling that you and I will be seeing a lot of each other! Carol signed.

The look on Kee's face was priceless, her relief at finding someone who could understand her evident.
Carol, that is a nice name, I have some extra breakfast I made, if you want some before Hal goes to work Kee offered with a smile.
Why thank you, I would love some breakfast other than Hal's awful cooking. Is Hal taking you to work today? I do not know if he has told you, but I am also his boss Carol sighed eagerly.
Kee laughed a silent laugh, shoulders shaking with her giggles.
Dad is dating his boss! He has not told me this yet! I hope I can come to work with him, until he sends me to some school, Kee signed.
Carol laughed out loud, joy on her face.
Suddenly Hal interrupted them.
" Hey there ladies, sorry to interrupt but I hope Carol isn't telling tales on me," Hal said with a chuckle.
Kee sighed something at him.
" Hahahaha! She says that I don't have to tell tales, she already knows you're funny!" Carol translated with a grin.
Hal reacted in pretend shock.
" Oh I am a very funny man. Now Kee, if you get dressed quickly then I'll take you to work with me and you can see where I fly planes," Hal offered.
Kee stared at him wide eyed for a second before rushing off to get changed at record speed.

" I love her already Hal, and you're right, she looks just like you!" Carol laughed.
" I hope that as good thing," Hal joked.
" It's a very good thing," Carol said sweetly, giving him a hug.

A minute later, Kee ran back in the room, with her batman backpack on her back. That wants what caught their attention. Kee was wearing a khaki green, faded, Green Lantern t shirt, with the symbol plastered on the front. She wore her flash cap but had green shoes and green lantern socks. The only thing not superhero themed was her smoky grey jeans.
Hal could barely hold back the laughter at the sight of his daughter, who already looked like him, and now was wearing clothes with the symbol of his alter ego! She was adorable! Like a little Hal!
" Awwwwww, aren't you cute," Carol crooned as Kee raced over and hugged Hal tightly.
Hal smiled down at her, as she clung to his leg and when he walked towards the car, with her still clinging to his leg, emitting her almost silent, if not for the small rasping sounding laugh. She yet again forgot what side of the car to sit in but scooted over when she realised.
Hal chuckled and turned on the radio, and in the corner of his eye, saw his daughter rocking out to the beat. Today was working so much better than yesterday had! He was finally starting to get used to having a daughter around! And he hasn't had to compromise his identity yet. Better still, she liked Carol!