Infiltration

Kee cuddled in to her father with tears streaming down her face as she sobbed uncontrollably. It had been so real, SO REAL! She had thought they were dead and she'd done nothing.

What if that actually happened someday? Maybe I'm not cut out to be a future hero if I am going to react like that in a situation, after all, dad would have saved Clark and Lois. I'll never live up to his name, I'll never be good enough for the title of the mighty Green Lantern's daughter. 

" Hush Kee, it was just a dream," Her dad soothed as he rocked her gently.

That just made Kee cry more as she registered his voice. She'd fail him if that situation ever happened.

And I can't even tell him what's wrong

She finally felt his chin lift off the top of her head, and a large hand cupped her chin, tilting her head up until her tear filled eyes were gazing in to her father's. 

" Do you want to talk about it?" Hal asked gently, as her wiped her tears away with his thumb.

Do you not see dad! I can't talk about it without unleashing my stupid abilities! I hate being mute! I hate being weak! I hate being able to stop these stupid tears from falling! I hate seeing you looking at me like you adore me when I don't adore myself!

She shook her head, opting to just keep it to herself, rather then embarrass herself further by trying to sign with shaking hands. Instead, she curled closer to him, burying her face in his chest so that she wouldn't have to look him in the eyes, the eyes that were so identical to her own.

" Okay, we'll talk in the morning. Try and get some more sleep if you can, and I promise to stay close," Hal murmured.

He levered himself on to the bed, keeping her wrapped in his arms as he drew the blanket up.

Why is he doing this? He could be at Carol's, or hanging out with the league. Why is he taking up so much time to spend with me when all I am is an embarrassment to him? I can't speak, and when I can it sounds ridiculous, and I can't even walk without a stupid hunk of machinery metal! Why does he love me so much, he's only known me for less than a year..........

With those thoughts Kee fell in to an uneasy sleep, still clutching his shirt like a lifeline and curling up as close as she could get to him.

A few hours later, Hal stood in front of Batman as the two stood on the observation deck, gazing at the earth below them. Kee was fast asleep, and so Hal had slowly unentangled himself with every intention of returning once this meeting was over.

" How's Robin?" Hal asked, genuinely concerned.

Batman's gaze narrowed for a moment, before he replied. 

" Still hasn't woken up, his hands are burnt from where they touched the restraints. Alfred thinks he'll be just fine once he sleeps it off," Batman muttered.

" His brothers didn't take it well, I assume, especially not Nightwing," Hal murmured.

Bruce snorted at that. " Damian was angry to say it lightly," He answered with a small, humorless laugh.

They stood in silence for a few moments before Hal decided to break it.

" You've thought about my proposal?" Hal asked, knowing Batman had.

" Indeed. And the answer is yes. Your daughter performed well today, and she has already befriended key members. In two days she will be inducted in to Young Justice," Bruce answered, giving the father exactly what he wanted to hear.