The Kitchen Master

Kee woke up slowly, debating whether she really had to get up or not.

" Good morning hon," Her dad's voice murmured close to her ear.

Okay, now she really did have a reason to get up. She was delightfully warm and comfortable, apparently she'd somehow ended up sleeping on her dad's chest, curled up like a cat. She blinked open her eyes, and found her staring at her dad's face, his eyes close to hers were tinged with worry he was trying to mask.

Wait, worry? Why was her father worried?

Then the events of last night came back to her, and with a shiver she remembered the dream. She was the last Elemental, sole member of her race. She was also the queen, and her subjects were murdered. She could remember their murders, the dream was so vivid she felt like she'd lived through it. But to be her ancestor, the king who watched it happen for real, well, she would have been devastated.

She didn't realize she had been staring in to space until her dad's worried face filled her line of sight and she realized he was cradling her close.

" Kee, hon, you okay?" Hal fretted.

' I am fine, just thinking about stuff ' Kee signed, trying to look casual.

She shifted more comfortably in to his cradle hold, huddling against him, since she was getting a bit cold.

" Maybe you're thinking about a dream perhaps?" Hal asked, testing to see if she'd answer.

Kee froze at that. How could he know she'd had a bad dream! She'd only just woken from it a few minutes ago and hadn't told him! Maybe she'd thrashed in her sleep? But should she tell him?

Okay Kee, think of the plus sides. He's your dad, and you know he loves you so he'll obviously want to know what's wrong. Besides, you can't keep it bottled up inside, someone has to know what you are and why the shadows were after you as a child. But then again, he dad could never understand what she'd seen, thousands upon thousands of murdered Elementals......And yet, he has a right to know.

' I-It was more of a memory, than a dream. Dad, I know what I am now, why I have these powers, I know my family's past' Kee signed, biting her lower lip nervously.

She gazed up in to his brown eyes, so much like her own, and he smiled reassuringly to her.

" Go on, you can tell me what happened," Hal urged, reassuring her she could speak.

' I come from an ancient tribe known as the Elementals, every one had the same powers as I did. And yet, I'm the only descendant of them, everyone else was murdered by the shadows. I'm their only monarch, their queen,' Kee signed slowly, worrying how to phrase her signs.

Her dad obviously hadn't been expecting that, he blinked, and blinked again, seeming to be frozen to the spot. His hold on her loosened and she yelped slightly as he dropped her, leaving her to slip over the side of the bed and land hard on the floor. 

She yelped when she hit, grimacing as it jarred her leg. Instantly her dad was beside her, pulling her in to a sideways hug.

" I'm so sorry kid, I didn't men to drop you, you just kind of startled me with that revelation," Hal apologized profusely.

' I'm okay dad, we will figure this out together' Kee signed with a small smile.

" We will, and you don't have to tell the team, or the league if you don't want to," Hal reassured, picking her up so he could get her her prosthetic.

' Wait! I am meant to go to the mountain today, Meghan wants to cook party food with me for Connor's birthday!' Kee signed rapidly, hurriedly checking the time on her Green Lantern watch.

Half an hour later she was zeta beaming in to the mountain, her dad said he would pick her up later. 

She didn't like the feel that the beam gave her, it made her body tingle. And as she wandered in to the kitchen and saw Meghan her spirits lifted. The martian was excitedly flipping through recipe books, a huge grin on her face.

" Oh hi Elementum! Come join me!" Meghan urged.

Kee moved to stand next to the girl, tensing when she was greeted with a tight hug.

" I'm planning on making a cake, but I'm not sure what else yet. What do you think we should make?" Meghan prattled on beside her.

Kee held up a hand to tell her to pause for a moment. Slowly Kee floated a foot off the ground, sighing in relief as the air rushed in to her lungs slightly differently.

" That's better! And in my opinion, Connor seems like he would enjoy brownies," Kee said, grinning back at Meghan.

The martian stared at her, mouth agape in shock as she spoke, eyes wider than Kee thought possible.

" Your voice sound strange....." Meghan whispered in shock.

Kee snorted with laughter. " Believe me, I know," Kee chuckled deeply.

Meghan blushed furiously, embarassent clear in all her features. " I didn't mean to say that out loud," She murmured awkwardly.

Kee just shrugged and flipped open another recipe book, pinpointing the brownie recipe.

" Well I can't speak without my powers, so you won't be hearing it all that often," Kee murmured calmly.

Meghan sent her an apologetic glance.

" If it makes you feel better my voice sounds strange when I sing," Meghan offered up.

Kee knew it wants much of an apology but the other girl probably didn't know much about apologies.

" Hey it's fine. Besides, I shudder to think what my singing would sound like so we can put it behind us. Check out the recipe, you think he'd like brownies?" Kee soothed.

Meghan looked over the recipe, grinning wildly when she finished.

" Hello Meghan, why didn't I know of this before?! Connor will love them!" Meghan squeaked.

The two girls baked all day, finding new and wonderful recipes to try, however soon in, Kee was put in charge of checking the oven, since Meghan had a tendency to burn things. 

Triple chocolate brownies, Lemon meringue pie, M&M cookies, Raspberry white chocolate muffins, Nachos, veggie Pasties, Meat pies, Salads, Herb and garlic bread, pizza, Cinnamon scrolls.

The table was soon covered.

And now the tired cooks were working on the best part. The cake. 

Meghan didn't know how to make most of the things they'd cooked, but she soon found out that Kee clearly knew her way around a kitchen. That two of them worked together flawlessly, with Meghan gathering ingredients telepathically, and Kee on burn watch, they were the perfect cooking partners. 

And when the rest of the team returned from their various outings, they couldn't believe their eyes. The kitchen table was covered in amazing foods, and yet that wants what caught their attention. No, it was the Cake in the shape of the Superman symbol, but iced black and red to show it was Superboy.

Connor couldn't believe his eyes, was this for him?!

" Oh my goodness," Wally murmured.

" Touchee," Artemis agreed, her eyes wide with surprise.

" Team, I do believe Meghan has outdone herself," Kaldur murmured, blinking his silver eyes rapidly, as if the food would disappear. " From what I know of surface food, this is good?" Kaldur inquired.

" Awesome," Robin clarified with a smirk.

" Oh I had help," Meghan's voice stated.

The team turned to see her coming down the hallway in a short black dress, her hair behind her shoulders. Kee floated slightly off the ground beside her, clad in a Green Lantern shirt and jeans.

" Hi, Happy Birthday Superboy," Kee greeted with a wave.