three

Caitlin took in a sharp inhale as her brown eyes locked with Barry's

Caitlin took in a sharp inhale as her brown eyes locked with Barry's. The air between them thick as the bubble within them readied to burst. The brunette twiddled her thumbs as she peered down at her lap.

"I..." Caitlin began, unsure how to properly weave the complexity of her feelings for the hero before her. A million words running through her mind. "I'm not so good at this sort of thing."

Barry appeared just as nervous, his normally calm self suddenly fidgeting nervously. The man had never been one to be afraid, but ever since he was rejected by Iris, his confidence when it came to women had sunk dramatically.

"You saved my life, after Ronnie...and my dad, I didn't think I could go on much longer. I had no faith in the world until you came into my life," Caitlin's palms quickly became clammy, her heart pounding so hard in her chest that it was becoming tiring. "I'm going to be straight with you, because I can't dance around this bush anymore...I like you, Barry. I have since a couple weeks after we met and it's killing me to not be with you."

A swelling welled in her chest as she watched Barry stare at her, unresponsive as he took in her words. Only the never-ending beep of the machine at her bedside to take over the quiet between them. It felt like the longest five minutes of her life. The words had already left her lips, and it was now or never. Either he liked her too, or he didn't. The anticipation was killing her.

"I know." Was all that the man said, his response leaving her momentarily speechless. "I've known for a long time, Cait. I even told Cisco to duck out of dinner the other night, just so we could spend time together."

"Y-you did?" This was all news to her, if Barry had known this whole time, she wondered why he never bothered to make a move.

Barry rubbed the nape of his neck, chuckling softly. "Well, I didn't believe it at first. It took a lot of convincing from Cisco for me to finally believe it."

Caitlin should've known Cisco was behind it, the boy was always encouraging the two to go off together. Or go grab a coffee after work, he practically tried to set them up whenever they were alone. A smile breached Caitlin's lips, bowing her head, almost forgetting she was wearing a hospital gown.

"Why didn't you say something?"

"I didn't want to make a move if you weren't ready..." Barry confessed, "But I guess your mom decided now was the time, huh?"

"She's always been a forward woman," Caitlin jokes playfully, "I guess in this case, maybe that's a good thing."

Barry edged forward, coming to the woman's side. The pair intertwining their hands, a feeling of happiness floating over them. After three years of friendship, they'd finally plucked the courage to take the next step. And when the green eyed boy craned his neck, his face hovering inches from her own. The doctor wove a hand into his hair tugging him into a kiss that she wished could last forever.