ten

The battle between the humans and metas raged on for countless days

The battle between the humans and metas raged on for countless days. Both sides were worn out and tired, their source of ammunition and weapons had run low. It was clear to them now, that the military's intentions were for nothing but hatred and war. Something the heroes had been fighting against for the longest time, even as the exhaustion flowed through their veins, they refused to back down. The world was a mess with rouge metas as it was; they didn't need humans creating havoc too.

A voice invaded Barry's thoughts as he finished abandoning the rifles a few miles south. The comm drowning out the noises of the coast.

"Hey, Barry."

A boyish grin crept along his lips beneath his mask, "If it isn't Caitlin Snow..."

A blush rushed across her cheeks, it was almost as though Barry's lips were made to say her name. The rasp in his voice never failing to arouse her, she longed for them to be alone more than ever.

"Any progress? I just walked past Felicity, if she bites her nails any further I'm afraid she'll start bleeding." Caitlin chuckled almost humourlessly, secretly concerned for her friend. The constant battle was starting to take its toll on them all.

Barry's legs carried him slowly across the plains, not wanting to rush the conversation between the two. He was in no rush for the moment, Jason had been doing all of the handy work when it came to taking down Collision's men.

"Oliver's going to move in on Robin tonight, Collision is too busy focusing on the frontline to think we'll attempt to creep in the back." Barry explained, hoping Cisco's comm systems were designed well enough to refuse anyone access to their conversation. "Jason was reluctant at first, but I convinced him that if we're the ones they want, they're not going to care about losing their leverage."

Caitlin's lips quirked upwards, "Now I wonder who's plan that was."

"It was Cisco's." Barry informed her, biting his inner cheek to hold back a laugh. "But I appreciate you thinking I could find her and come up with a plan without assistance."

Caitlin's cheeks burned, knowing she should've assumed Cisco came up with the plan. Or Oliver at least. "What can I say? I have to support my boyfriend in all his endeavours."

A heartbeat passed and Caitlin no longer found herself inside the ArrowCave. But her body cradled in the arms of the man she loved as he ran faster than the speed of light. They came to a stop when Barry found an empty rooftop, from where they were the city fell silent. Only the distance chime of car horns faintly echoing into the sky. Her doe brown eyes lifted to land on her boyfriend, a smile beaming at her as she reached forward tugging his head free. She couldn't imagine how stuffy it must get wearing that suit all day.

"Your cheeks are a little red." The doctor observed as she pressed the back of her hand to his cheek. Her eyebrows furrowed, her eyes staring pointedly at him. "I hope you're eating enough."

Barry brushed her off, shaking his head lightly, "Running as fast as I can will do that to you. I'm good, Snowflake."

Caitlin studied him for a moment, debating whether or not to fuss over him. He was clearly not drinking as much as he should be, but seeing how peace coursed through his demeanour in her presence. She decided against it; allowing them to take in the moment before Barry was urged back to the fight waging on below them. Her small frame sunk into his body, resting herself against him as they stared out at the buzzing city before them. It wasn't the tallest building in Starling, but it certainly had a beautiful view.

Before long Caitlin found herself waking up to the sensation of fingers combing their way through her auburn locks. A hum of approval leaving her body as its sends an eruption of goosebumps along her arms. Her eyes peeled open to find the city swallowed in a golden hue, the sun blazing down behind the building's. It made everything seem a little brighter and Caitlin couldn't help but wish she'd fall asleep this way every night.

Barry had felt the shift in her weight, his olive eyes shining down on her as she peered up at him. The sight made her heart skip a beat, his flawless skin basked in the heat of the sun as his shaggy hair remained ruffled from his suit. He was gorgeous. Without a word her hands reached up, her fingers getting lost in his thick hair as she pulled him toward her. They moved perfectly insync the feeling of his lips moving against her caused her heart to catch. Throughout all the kisses she'd shared in her lifetime, this was by far the most memorable.

Caitlin pulled away - much to Barry's dismay. A disheartened groan escaping his body, missing the lack of contact.

"I'd love to continue...but I'm afraid I won't be able to stop." Her voice was hushed just below a whisper, her thumb running absently over his jaw.

A soft smile greeted her words, his own hand coming to rest around her frame. "I know that feeling too well."

"I definitely don't want our first time to be on a roof for all to see," Caitlin released a hearty laugh, amusement over some rooftop janitor finding the pair made her giggle. "It might traumatise some people."

"To be fair, I'm pretty sure everyone in this city is already traumatised by the scary ass weirdos that live here." Barry laughed along, his mind recalling the freak that almost disintegrated the whole city. His skin crawling at the memory. "The sooner we leave, the better. I miss home."

Caitlin's smile mirrored his own, "We still have a shit load of apartment hunting to do, are you sure you miss it that much?"

The woman teased as she toyed with the little details of his suit, Cisco really had done his best work on it. A part of her envied his skills with materials and engineering, it reminded her of her father.

"Well, between Zoom and this Collision guy, I look forward to doing something human with the woman I love." Barry smiled softly, watching as her honey brown eyes melted at his words. "We should find one with a spare room, just in case your mom wants to come and stay."

"Don't tell her that, she'll be staying over every weekend." Caitlin joked, she knew her mother would be overjoyed with the fact the two were moving into their own place together. "I wouldn't be surprised if she demanded to throw us one of her big gala parties in celebration."

"If it means I get to see you in a hot outfit, you can count me in." Barry winked flirtatiously, smirking as he watched Caitlin's cheeks glow pink. "Come on, I have no doubt Jason will be demanding to know where I've been. Dude needs to take a chill pill."