seven

Caitlin twiddled her thumbs anxiously as she awaited Barry's return

Caitlin twiddled her thumbs anxiously as she awaited Barry's return. For the most part they'd managed to replace the torn wallpaper, stripping it bare and leaving the only essential furniture in the room. Her sofa, which she insisted on keeping even with the tear down its side, was what she sat upon now. A horrible feeling gnawing in her gut. She knew Barry would be angry she'd faced a meta alone, one hit and she'd be wiped off the face of the Earth. But still, she was thankful she stood her ground. Unlike Cisco or Barry, she was nothing but human.

The sound of a key in her door alerted her that Barry was finally home. She knew by his expression that he was curious as to why she didn't show up all afternoon. It was unlike her to miss work. Especially since her health was perfect and all seemed perfect that morning.

"Cisco said he hadn't heard from you all day," Barry began, shrugging his jacket from his shoulders. "Is everything okay?"

A bead of sweat formed on her forehead, lying was never her forté and she certainly wasn't going to begin now.

"I saw a meta today."

The words gained a reaction from the speedster, a semi confused look crossing his features. It was no secret that there were a million metas out there that they hadn't discovered yet. But Barry was usually the one to find them.

"What happened? Did they hurt you?" He questioned quickly, sinking down in the space beside his girlfriend as he curled an arm around her. The cold from hours before gone.

Caitlin shook her head, "I thought he would've, but he didn't. He wants to speak with you, Barry. He came here looking for you, he knows about S.T.A.R Labs and honestly I wouldn't be shocked if he knew who you were."

Barry frowned in irritance at that, there was nothing he hated more than people prying into places they don't belong. It concerned him even further that whoever it was had the balls to approach Caitlin. Anger simmered inside him, his focus boring into the floor.

"Did he say what he wanted?"

"No." Caitlin sighed, her hand laced in Barry's tightening her grip seeing the rage. "I asked, but he never answered. For what I can tell, he can manipulate the elements. I wasn't going to hand you over to him, anything could've happened."

"If this guy is as dangerous as he sounds, Cait. He literally could've killed you. Maybe staying here again was a bad idea, clearly it isn't safe anymore," Barry fumed, wishing people would come find him rather than hunt down the people he loved. "I know this place has memories, Cait. But please tell me you'll think about moving."

It was a big suggestion, one she wouldn't take lightly. The memories she'd built in the home over the years were a lot of her and Ronnie. They'd purchased the home together after their engagement, almost as if it were a promise for the future. There had been times when she'd thought of selling, the dark days when she figured she'd lost everything.