fourteen

It was strange how quickly she began changing, her behaviour suddenly temperamental

It was strange how quickly she began changing, her behaviour suddenly temperamental. The way she'd snap at even the slightest of things, Ralph's constant erratic energy and Cisco stealing her pizza pockets. The twist that crawled into her stomach, inching its way towards her throat until she'd knelt over the basin emptying her stomach gradually drained all her energy.

It had been over two weeks since she'd announced her pregnancy to her boyfriend. Barry taking it like a child being offered candy, thrilled and impatient. But as eager as Caitlin had been to inform the rest of their family, Barry had wanted her to hold off until they'd caught their latest villain - DeVoe. The one that somehow managed to slip through their hands more times than any of them could fathom. Being the protective boyfriend that he was, Caitlin was almost entirely banned from interfering with anything to do with the egotistical maniac. In all honesty, she was happy to be left out; if DeVoe discovered the possibility of The Flash having a child, he could attempt to use that against him.

Caitlin sat perched against her desk, her mind focused elsewhere as she shoveled down her second packet of flaming cheetos. A food choice she'd never been fond of until a week ago. Mist of the team were out on some search party to find out DeVoe's next move, their newfound team member Ralph assisting them on the matter. Who else better to discover something hidden than a private investigator?

A soft knock startled her out of her daydream, her eyes falling to the archway of her lab,

"Aren't you a sight for sore eyes?" Iris teased, eyeing the luminous orange powder smudged on Caitlin's face. A gentle smile stretching across her lips at the sight of her old friend.

The auburn haired girl's change of behaviour hadn't gone unnoticed by their friends, and it was clear as day that they'd be walking on eggshells around her - including Iris. A blush crossed Caitlin's cheeks as the brunette gestured to the discarded food on her face.

"Thanks," The physician acknowledged as she wiped her mouth with a napkin. "I thought you went with everyone else?"

Iris shook her head with a short lived smile, "They don't need me, I don't have powers nor a brain smart enough to help defeat this jackass."

"You don't need any of that to be a part of this team, Iris. Trust me, you help each of us in more ways than you know." Caitlin promised, watching the uncertainty waver in her friend's brown eyes. "I mean, we don't entirely need a new Harrison Wells each year, yet for whatever reason we continue to get another. It's not about skills or intellect, don't let your doubts fool you."

"Usually I'm the one giving motivational speeches." Iris grinned playfully, extending a hand to snatch up a cheeto before Caitlin finished the packet.

"Maybe I'm coming for your gig." The woman chuckled wholeheartedly, nudging the woman beside her enjoying the company of another woman for once.

"Whoa, I see you, Snow." The reporter cried out in a warm laugh, "Someone woke up on the right side of their bed this morning."

"Cisco has yet to eat my pizza pocket, so enjoy the peace whilst you can." Caitlin said, already knowing her best friend did it to get a rise out of her. "The second he comes into the cortex with pizza pocket breath, I'll pummel him."

"Damn girl, remind me not to steal food from you."

"Cisco basks in my rage - but one day I'll put laxatives in my food and he won't know what hit him." Caitlin folded her arms across her chest, pleased with herself at the idea. "Does he seriously not steal your lunch?"

"If he did, he'd lose a finger. It costs a fortune to get the specific chicken caesar salad that I eat." Iris remarked, her thoughts wandering to her food that was awaiting to be eaten in the fridge. "You have to try it, Caitlin. It's like heaven in a bowl."

Caitlin grimaced at the thought, chicken seems to be one of the foods that the baby clearly doesn't agree on. A sad loss for the doctor's taste buds.

"I think I'll get a rain check on that one."

Iris raised a suspicious brow - she'd be out to eat with her friend on several occasions. Two of which happened to be times when they were both plastered from too many shots, but even then Caitlin typically stuffed her face with a chicken tortilla wrap. So rejection to the offer of something the woman loved, seemed odd.

"Are you feeling okay? I mean, I know Barry says you're just taking time for yourself - but it's hard not to wonder what's going on with you..." Iris speculated, awfully wary of treading on Caitlin's toes when it came to personal questions.

"With DeVoe...it's better that I don't dive into the details, but believe me Iris, I've never felt better." Caitlin smiled softly, allowing Iris to linger on her as she watched her best friend's girlfriend place her hand over her stomach.

It appeared to take a second, but Iris's brown eyes widened like saucers. The initial shock of discovering her friends were soon to be parents hit her like Repunzel hit Flynn. In all her time, the possibility of Barry - her goofy, unfiltered, nerdy best friend - becoming a father at the age of twenty-five, surprised her. Not because she was jealous, or believed he'd be a wreck - it was just the simple fact that it meant they were finally truly adults.

"Caitlin...I...I don't even know what to say but congratulations." Iris glowed as she inched closer to the woman, eyes falling from her face to her growing stomach and back again. "I guess it's about time one of us has a child. Who else knows?"

"For now, just you and Barry." Caitlin answered, "Although I'm eager to spill the news to my mom and Cisco, I just wish this shit would blow over."

"Tell me about it," Iris agreed, rolling her eyes at the whole situation with the man who thought he knew everything. "It's an honour to be one of the first you've told, it explains a few things."

"Like binge eating? Oh, I know. I've gained like two pound this week alone." Caitlin grumbled, screwing up the wrapper of her snack and tossing it in the trash.

"You're perfect as you are, Caitlin." Iris comforted, resting her hand upon her auburn haired friend's wrist. "I'm heading out for coffee at Jitters, do you need anything?"

Caitlin smiled faintly, "No thank you, Barry promised to treat me to a dinner date when he gets back, let's just hope it doesn't include chicken."

Iris broke out in a laugh, offering Caitlin one last smile before she left the cortex. The building returned to its usual eerie silence, the slight sound of machines and clocks filling the emptiness. Although this time, even with everyone gone, she would never truly be alone.
Somewhere within her grew a tiny angel awaiting a life full of promise and hope. Whether it be a girl or boy, Caitlin just prayed for a healthy pregnancy - as any mother would. Without realising a warm smile clung to her lips, a tear managed to slide down her cheek as she stared in adoration at their future.

Maybe one day, Barry will finally be able to train a mini speedster, there was a first for everything of course. A child with the abilities of the speed force was something they had yet to come across.

———
Birthday Update!!!