thirteen

Caitlin ran a hand through her hair, sweat beaded along her forehead as she arched over the toilet bowl once more

Caitlin ran a hand through her hair, sweat beaded along her forehead as she arched over the toilet bowl once more. For the past couple of days, she'd found herself waking in a hot sweat with the urge to empty the contents of her stomach. A sensation she most certainly didn't relish in. At first, she'd thought she'd caught the flu, but as the days went on and her sickness continued, she pondered on the possibility of being pregnant. The symptoms were all there, nausea and sickness, tender breasts and the constant need to urinate. But as the realness of the situation began to hit her, she couldn't help but feel the nerves eating away inside her. If it was the case, and she was pregnant, she didn't fear Barry's reaction. Only her own.

The man adored kids, and he was the perfect role model for a child to look up to. Who wouldn't want The Flash to be their father? It was the mere fact that she'd never even fathomed bearing a child, after her rocky relationship with her mother the thought of bringing one up made her crinkle her nose. Not to say she'd be the worst mom, she knew deep down she'd enjoy the company of having a little one whilst Barry was off saving the world. With a sigh, her brown eyes lifted towards the mirror, a hand extending out to open the secret storage space behind it. She'd always kept a pregnancy test on hand, knowing one day it may come in handy. It was clear it had collected dust as the years had gone by; before Barry, Caitlin hadn't had sex since before Ronnie had passed.

The thin strip of plastic faintly shook as she held it in her grasp, awaiting the inevitable. It would've been faster if she'd gone to S.T.A.R. Labs and scanned herself, but the idea of anyone finding out sent a wave of fatigue coursing through her body. This was something she had to find out alone, the agonising twenty minutes taking far too long to be over. But as the clock struck the last minute, Caitlin's brown hues closed for a second, unsure of what she wanted to see. If it was positive, their lives would change forever. If it were negative, she could toss it and go about her life and Barry could remain oblivious of the scare in the first place. But part of her knew the results of the test, the curdling feeling in her stomach screamed the answer.

As her anxious eyes fell upon the small object between her hands, it revealed the truth. Two apparent lines boring straight back at her. Positive. Caitlin Snow was pregnant.

Breaking it to her boyfriend wasn't something she dreaded - in fact, a part of her longed to see the sparkle of excitement that would dance through his emerald eyes. During that very moment, Barry was busy working on the construction in S.T.A.R. Labs; something that had been much needed since the moment it had imploded. It's scorched steel soon to be replaced and returned to its former glory. Caitlin was silently thankful they'd chosen now to repair the facility, at least now the place their child would no doubt spend most of its time was finally secure. They'd had far too many intruders for her liking, god forbid what would happen if someone broke in and took their baby. Caitlin couldn't handle a loss such as that.

Eventually the physician found the boredom unbearable, the auburn haired girl had sat before her kitchen island for more than an hour. Slowly watching as the minutes ticked by, she couldn't imagine how it felt to be Barry. The pain of waiting as each heartbeat passed slowly, every millisecond taking a lifetime to move onto the next - it was something about Barry's powers she'd never envied. The anticipation of waiting any longer seems impossible. In one swift movement, Caitlin was on her feet, snatching up her jacket and rushing out of the door. The need to no longer keep the thrilling news to herself swallowing her whole. She could only imagine Cisco's reaction to becoming an uncle, he'd been hinting at the subject for a little longer than a year.