(21) No Need for Prince Charming

"Why does my brother smooch you?" Elodie twists around in her chair.

I laugh, "He doesn't smooch me."

"Yes he does. I saw a picture."

I raise my eyebrows, "Whatever you say."

She turns around and I resume my process of brushing out her dark hair, "Do you want me to French braid it?"

"Oh, can you??" She grins excitedly.

I smile and divide her part into the middle, and begin running my fingers trough it, and dividing a locke into three strands.

"There." I put on the rubber band at the end, leaving a two inch tail of stubborn hair that wouldn't stay in, "You look beautiful."

"You look beautiful." She giggles.

I poke her stomach, "You look beautiful. My brother says you are."

I frown, "So, he talks about me now?"

"I heard him talking to momma."

"Why were you listening to them?"

"I took Mason's phone and I didn't want him to see me." She sticks out her bottom lip, "And then I saw pictures of you! He was smooching you!"

I laugh, "Whatever you say Lodie."

She giggles, "I'm tired."

"You should be, it's late."

She grabs her blanket and we head up to her room.

"Can you tell me a story?"

I nod, "Only if you lay down under your covers and be ready to fall asleep."

She grins excitedly.

"Once upon a time, in a land far away there lived a girl-"

"Make her a mermaid!" Elodie forcefully suggests.

"Once upon a time, in a land far away lived a beautiful mermaid. Every day she swam with her mermaid friends, and loved swimming. She adventured one day, all the way across the deep, glimmering ocean. The mermaid was scared about what she would find on the other side, but when she got there, she found another mermaid, who was absolutely crazy." I smile, "But the mermaid made a friend. Pretty soon, she became friends with all the other mermaids and mermen-"

"Masey says mermen can't exist because then their wouldn't be a spot for his..I forgot what he said. Oh, pens! That's what it was. Masey said mermen need pens. What are pens?"

My eyes widen, shocked, but not all too surprised, considering this is Mason she's talking about.

"We'll make the mermen into Prince's then."

"But then how would the mermaid get to find her true love, if her Prince can't get in the water to see her?" Elodie's eyes widen.

I smile, "He can be a fierce dragon, does that sound good?"

She claps, "Masey never tells me stories with bad dragons, he said they're too scaredy for me." She frowns.

"Well, you're a big girl. Mason must just be acting like a little boy."

Just like the little boy he is. I mentally smirk.

"The mermaid became best friends with her new merfriend. The two mermaids one day swam to an island that was near their homes. On the island lived four fiery dragons. ROAAAAAAR." I yell, tickling her stomach.

"AHH." Elodie shrieks, giggling.

"The dragons looked big, bad, and scary, but the mermaid's friend told her they were nice dragons. Pretty soon, the mermaid became friends with the dragons as well. They met in secret, in the spot where the ocean connected with the island, and didn't tell anyone else. Pretty soon they fell in love. But how could they be together, when one occupied land, the other water?"