(39) Graduation Day

That day was the last I saw of Mason Derivan. After I left, it was nothing. No calls, spontaneous visits, no texts.  It was like he never existed. Or at least, never existed in my life. 

Sometimes I still think about him. Random things spark memories of him, and I wonder, what is he up to these days? I often think about contacting him again, but then remember my awful last words to him. That's a way to end a relationship.

Geez, if anyone ever needs relationship advice, totally come to me! I can tell you all the right things to say. 

Now, graduation is approaching. Its weird, how places and people can grow on you. Never did I think, after moving here, how much I would actually enjoy it. I've been to great places and met great people, and I have friends I care so much about. It's almost bittersweet, the thought of graduating, and leaving it all behind me. 

Well. I'm not leaving everyone...

"Wow, do you ever look beautiful today." Parker's warm smile greets me, and I grin. Shortly after my visit with Mason, everything in my life changed. 

He wasn't my best friend anymore, or the so called love of my life. Now? I'm not even sure I believe in love. Love is just a metonym, stolen from one heart and sucked into the other. It's almost violent, if you think about it. I think it's ironic how things like abuse and hostility are frowned upon, but it's okay for someone to lie awake, alone in their beds in the mere hours of the night, shaking and scared from the emotion others fantasize about. 

I got accepted into a small college close to home. I'm not ready to leave just yet. My boyfriend, Parker, is attending the same college as me. We start in the fall. He decided to major in biology, while I chose psychology. 

Jared graduates tonight with military honors. After a rough incident at home, he decided to enlist, and he begins the first part of his many training's, in a few weeks. 

Elle, is someone I am going to miss a lot. She was accepted into a major school in California. It's going to feel like she's a lifetime away from me.  

As for Mason? I'm not totally sure. Shortly after my visit with him, he dropped out of high school. I haven't seen him since. I've heard some rumours that he joined a gang, and have heard others say he overdosed on drugs. I don't partake in those rumours. The last few months, everyone, including me has matured, a lot. It's crazy, how much can happen in a few months, and how a few months can change people. 

Everything is different. So is everyone. Nothing in the end, is what anyone, including myself, would have expected it to be. Today, we graduate. We move on, to our bigger, brighter, and better futures. We become ourselves, our true selves, not the role highschool forced us to be cast as. 

We grow. We learn. And we love. 

We put others needs before our own, we think we're in love. We breakup. We "love" again. We lose people. It hurts, a lot. Most friends leave. The real ones always have your back, regardless of the miles in between. 

Tonight will be exciting, to say the least. It's what we've dreamed of since forever ago. I couldn't be more thankful to go through it with the people I have by my side. Speaking of that..

"Thank you." I smile at Parker, who leans closer to me, and twists our hands together, "You don't look too bad yourself." 

He smiles, "I know it's random, but I just want to say thank you. You're a really great person, girlfriend, friend, or just whatever. I really appreciate you." 

I blush, "Thanks."

"Are you ready for this?" He asks me.

I nod, "I think so. Or more so, I hope."

He looks at me, "You can do this Lex."

And with that I step forward. Here's to a new beginning.

A/N: winding up this book pretty quickly. its pretty sad, since i've grown quite attached with it, bu all good things must come to an end. 

question: thoughts on lexa with parker? 

thanks for 387k :) can we hit 400k before this book comes to a close?

love always, xx

tiny