Chapter Eight

Somewhere deep in a forest, a stone church stands. Inside, a boy sits in a make-shift library reading a thick book.

???'s P.O.V.

I flip through a book that I've read eight hundred times before. This is useless. I slam the book shut and stride into the dimly-lit main hall. Grabbing a copy of Sorcerer Weekly from the pile I made, I plop down on the cement floor.

"No...no...not this one...n–wait!" I pause my finger on one of the mages and smirk. "Perfect."

I throw the magazine down and head to the room. My short, dark-auburn hair covers my eyes as I run my hand along the ice-covered wall.

I step into the room and pass all the people encased in ice. Heading over to one person in particular, I lift my head to look at him.

In a spiky block of ice, he sits on his throne. I rest my forehead on the ice. The guilt comes rushing back.

"Don't worry. I'll get you out of there. All of you. And then I'll take my punishment." I grab my black cloak and whip it around me as I go off to set my plan in motion.

Back in Crocus,

Your P.O.V.

I walk down my apartment steps, dragging my (F/C) suitcase behind me. The summer air smells like flowers.

I'm so excited. My first job as a guild wizard. It's time to catch some bandits! Or slay a monster! Or...whatever we're doing!

"You're finally packed, huh? Took you long enough." Rami rolls her eyes.

"Hey! In my defense, I actually put time and effort into my packing. Unlike you." After that amazing burn, I walk past Rami and start off to the guild hall.

"The nerve!" I hear my exceed scoff behind me and I snort.

$&$&$&Time Skip$&$&$&

"Come on! We can't keep them waiting!" Rami flies into the giant guild hall.

"Hey! Wait for...me...baka..." I sigh and roll my stuff into the guild hall with me. Before I can say or do anything, Sting and Rogue walk up to me, their exceeds trailing behind them.

"Hey (Y/N)! We were waiting for you!" Sting smiles at me and Rogue nods while keeping his signature poker face. What is with this guy?

"Are you ready to pick a job?" Lector asks. "Wait, where's Rami?"

I sigh. "She flew in here without me. I can't believe her sometimes." Speak of the devil, my exceed comes trotting over holding her tiny suitcase.

"I got in here before you, but you meet up with the guys first? How?!" Rami stares at me with her purple eyes narrowed.

"Well, sorry you're a slowpoke. Anyway boys, yes. I'm ready to pick." I stride past my guildmates and over to the request board, my exceed muttering things behind me.

Some of the jobs are really stupid, like picking berries. Some other ones seem really hard, like bringing a sea monster back alive.

"Hey, how about this one?" Sting being a good three or four inches taller than me, reaches over my head and plucks a job off the board. "It doesn't seem too hard."

I scan the paper thoroughly. It sounds really fun actually.

"Slay herd of forest vulcans; $40,000 J. Meet in Trost." I read aloud. "Huh. Great." I grab the paper out of Sting's hand and go show it to Yukino.

"By the way Yukino, why aren't you coming?" I tilt my head and she gives me a sad look.

"Sorry (Y/N), but someone has to stay and look after the guild. When Sting leaves on jobs, he leaves me in charge. If I could come, I would." I feel my lips form a frown. I'm actually a little disappointed she can't come.

"Hey, maybe we'll go on a girls only job. We can invite a couple other people too." I suggest.

The blue-head smiles. "Yeah. That would be really fun."

I smile in return and wave at her as I turn on my heel.

"Let's go." I approach the boys and my exceed and grab my suitcase.

^~^Another Random Time Skip~^~

"Wait, I just realized, how are we going to get there? Trost is a good ten towns over." I look over at the two dragon slayers next to me. We're currently walking through Crocus with our exceeds to who-knows-where.

Sting groans loudly and flips his head back. Rogue looks like he's going to be sick.

"Oh no...don't tell me..." I look back in front of me. There stands Crocus train station.

"Nope! No freaking way!" I drop my suitcase and grab onto a nearby pole. I'm clutching to it for dear life when I feel two very muscular arms around my waist.

"Come on, (Y/N). We can't get there on foot and there's no way the exceeds can fly us there. I'm not happy about it either, but jewel is jewel." Sting tries to tug lightly on me to get me off the pole.

I squeeze my eyes shut and my (H/C) tickles my blushing face. "You can't make me!"

Sting sighs. "I didn't want to do this..." I feel his arms come off my waist for a minute only for them to come back to tickle my sides.

"S-Sting! Stop i-it! No! Y-you can't m-make me get o-on that st-stupid train!" At this point, my eyes are open and I can see some people start to stare at us. Well, stare at me.

"Come on (Y/N)! Stop being so stubborn for once!" Rami's high-pitched voice yells.

I let go of the pole, only to be pulled backwards by Sting's weight. Instead of landing on the cement, I land on something...warm? Oh no. I look down at the person underneath me to see none other but Sting! With my nose right up against his.

Looking at him up close like this, his eyes really are handsome...wait! What the hell am I saying?!

"Uh-um-I-" The blond's face beats the great Titania's hair color. I scramble off of him, accidentally pushing off his abs in the process.

"I'm so so so so so sorry! I didn't mean to fall on you and I-" He must think I'm a pervert now! Oh god.

"I-it's fine..."

"If you two love birds are done now, there's a death machine waiting for us." Rogue snaps me out of my embarrassment.

"Right. Sorry." I grab my suitcase and follow the exceeds onto the train.