Chapter Seventeen

Your P.O.V.

I stand there with my mouth gaping open and my eyes glued to the prisoners in horror. I don't know what happened here, and I don't know if I want to.

"Hey! I thought I told you to stay in your cell!" I hear Xander's voice yell out to me. "And now you've seen exactly what I didn't want you to see. Great!"

"What is this...? What happened...?" I'm pretty sure my face is paper white by now, and my lips might even be slightly blue from being so cold. My teeth chatter as I speak. "Where are we...?"

"You're barefoot?! How stupid are you? God! Come on..." before I can protest, I feel two muscular arms sweep me off the ground. I wrap my own arms around my kidnapper's neck, shivering uncontrollably. Do I have Stockholm Syndrome? Probably.

Before long, Xander carries me into a slightly warmer room and puts a coat that's probably two sizes too big around my shoulders. He lays me down on a firm mattress and sprints out of the room.

My mind is racing at a mile a minute and I can't really focus on much because of my rapidly dropping body temperature. What I wouldn't do for Natsu to be here right now...maybe if I only had my sash, but of course Yukino and the other girls said that it was too "casual" for the masquerade. If they knew I would be kidnapped, they probably would've had second thoughts.

All of a sudden, Xander comes running back in holding a mug that smells like hot chocolate and a heavy looking wool blanket over his right shoulder. There's...ice...at his heels...

"Drink." the auburn haired boy thrusts the mug in front of me, and I take a sip without hesitation. The sweet liquid fills my stomach and warms me up inside. "And here." he covers me in the wool blanket, which traps my new body heat.

"You have...something...on your shoes..." I say timidly, while pointing at his dark brown boots. Xander gives me a questioning look, then checks his heels and scowls.

"Oh come on! Not again!" He plops down on the bed next to me and pulls off his boots.

"Didn't you just say to me that I was stupid for having my shoes off? Hypocrite," I mutter the last part, but I'm pretty sure he still heard it.

"I don't feel the cold. After all, I'm the one who made this place half frozen,"
Xander chuckles, but it's light-hearted this time.

"What do you mean?" I look at him out of the corner of my eye. "And what's with the nice guy act all of a sudden? Weren't you all evil and creepy twenty minutes ago?"

"Evil and creepy? Gah! I'm so sorry! That's not how it was meant to come off!" The boy shakes his open hands in front of his face in defense.

"Well then how was it meant to come off?!" I slam my hot chocolate onto the nightstand next to me and throw my arms up in exasperation. "Cause I really thought I was gonna die for a good half hour!"

Xander sighs deeply and places his head in his hands. It's quiet again. I pick my hot chocolate back up and take another sip, the slurp slicing through the silence like a knife. My kidnapper looks over at me through his fingers, his (E/C) eyes boring into mine. We stay like that for a minute, then a childish smirk crawls onto his lips and he shakes his head slowly.

"Look. There's something you need to know. Okay, maybe there's a lot you need to know, but whatever. Come with me." Xander takes my hand and stands up, his auburn hair swaying past his eyes as he does so.

"Okay...? And where exactly are we going?" I question him.

"Outside."

"And...why outside?"

"And...why so many questions?"

"You would ask a lot of questions too if you were kidnapped, placed in a cell, then given fresh clothes and hot chocolate!" I yell. "Not to mention, I found at least fifty people trapped in chunks of ice! That's not something you see on an everyday basis!"

"Okay! Okay! I get it! No need to yell!"

"You're yelling, too!"

"I know I'm yelling!"

"I know you know you're yelling!"

"JUST, STOP!" Xander screams, and I feel a giant surge of magic power. I squeeze my eyes shut and ball my fists. I open my eyes, and I'm astonished at what I see.

The whole space around us is coated in ice, and Xander is sitting with his knees against his chest, hyperventilating. I kneel down to his level.

"Are you okay? That was a stupid question...you're obviously not...do you need medical attention?" I place my hands on his shoulders, but before I can say anything else, Xander looks up at me. His (E/C) eyes are now an inhuman blue and his pupils are slits.

All of a sudden, I feel another surge of magic power. "Moon field!" A purple force field surrounds me before I can get injured. When the dust clears, Xander is laying in a huddled ball, a frozen wave hanging over him. His face is twisted in pain.

"Miraum...black case...back room..." Xander says weakly, like someone is pulling him back.

I nod at him, release the force field, then run. Sprint, actually. My heels echo through the halls repeatedly, ringing farther and farther away. The cold starts to seep through my sweater again, and I hug myself while I run. Finally, a dark doorway comes into sight, and I run at top speed for about thirty seconds into the room.

Sure enough, there's a black cello case full of dark red liquid in syringes and bottles. I grab a syringe and run back out of the room, not bothering to shut the case. I think I remember something about this stuff from my magical items lessons with Kalaina. If my memory serves me correctly, Miraum is a potion that fixes, or temporarily fixes lacrimas or other magic holders.

Once I reach the spot where Xander is, the auburn haired boy is replaced with a giant ball of ice. Looking closer, I can sort of make out a silhouette of a human boy.

"Crap..." I mutter. Putting the syringe in my sweatpants pocket, I hold my hands in a formation that looks like I'm holding a sword. "Moonshine blade!" A glowing purple longsword appears in my hands, and I run towards the ice ball. I slice through the frozen prison, and step inside.

There lays Xander, unmoving. I release the energy holding the sword, and stab the syringe into the side of his neck. I watch in concern as the dark red liquid slowly drains out of the needle. My (E/C) eyes flick from the Miraum to Xander, until I hear a light groan.

"Thanks...I really thought that one was going to be my last..." My kidnapper sits up and rubs his head.

"That one?! You mean you've done things like this before?! How are you still alive?!" I drop the now empty syringe, and shake his shoulders.

"Hey, hey, hey! I'll explain everything, fine. Um...how do I start? Heh. Well...let's just say not everything up here is right," he points to his head. "To be specific, there's a broken lacrima in my brain."