Chapter Twenty

Your P.O.V.

"Beat ya! You have to go get lunch!" I yell in Xander's face. He pouts but I can see he's holding back a smile.

"Fine. I'll be back in about an hour." The auburn haired boy jogs off back into the woods, leaving me by myself.

I fall backwards, out of breath from sprinting to the building. My (H/C) hair sprawls out behind me. It's such a nice day. I stare at the clouds, picking out shapes for a few minutes.

I turn my head to the right, gazing at the foundations of what used to be homes. Then, my head goes back to the left to look at the forest in which Xander had disappeared into ten minutes ago. Wow, I get bored easily. He did say he'd be back in an hour, right? I should be finished exploring by then. Yeah. I'll be back in time for food.

I stand up and brush the grass and bugs off my clothes. The village looks pretty big from here. Maybe if I could get a better view... I look over at the tree closest to me, which is a pine tree. It's gotta be at least twenty feet tall, maybe even thirty. I gulp at the thought of plummeting down from that height, and that idea gets tossed right out the window.

Sticking with the safe side of my mind, I march into the seemingly endless sea of foundations and crumbled brick.

   <3<3<3<3Time Skip<3<3<3<3

"Words are born into air, then quickly fade out in the wind," I sing to myself softly. I've known this lullaby forever, but I honestly can't remember where I learned it. "But they find their way inside you, where they live on forever more..."

I step over a cracked cauldron humming the parts I've forgotten. The notes float out on the breeze, probably not going to be thought of again for a while. "You can see just how much you've grown, how strong you are..."

I finish a lyric and my foot goes through the ground, causing me to lose my balance and tumble down something hard, bringing a chunk of the cauldron with me.

"Ah! Crap!" I hiss in pain and grab my leg, which is twisted in a strange position on my left. The piece of iron hits me in the back, knocking the wind out of me. "Hah...ow..." I give the ground that I fell through a dirty look, only to find it's not ground at all, but a now broken trapdoor, and I'm sitting at the bottom of a staircase.

A few windows are scattered here and there, some sunlight streaming in. It's still pretty dark though. I examine my leg, which doesn't seem to be broken. Actually, with all I've done to myself, I'm really not surprised it's fine...almost. I untwist my leg and stand up slowly. Okay, no blood and no bones sticking out of my body like last time. Okay, we're fine!

I wince as I take a step and light my fists in lunar energy to light up the room. It doesn't work as good as Sting's probably would, but it sure is better than nothing. Instead of an empty room like I expect, it appears to be a furnished basement. Sure, it's pretty outdated, but wow!

Start music (try to play it again after it stops so you can get the full effect while you read. :))

"Woah..." I let go of the light on one fist as I limp through the furniture. There's a small set of chairs and a table, a kitchenette and a fireplace. The only things that really interest me though, are the double bassinet, and the desk.

The bassinet is really nothing special; a pale green ribbon circles the white material. It looks just about big enough to hold two average sized babies. I run my hand along the ribbon, feeling its smooth texture. I'm just about to go look at the desk, but I notice a mobile with three dragons hanging from a delicate frame that looks like it would break if I flicked it. One dragon is purple, one is light blue and one is gold.