thirteen

"The most confused you will ever get is when you try to convince your heart and spirit of something your mind knows is a lie."
― Shannon L. Alder

{edited 04.12.21}

She lied. For one of the first times in her life, Delaney Rodriguez had lied to her best friend.

God did she wish she had said yes. Was it too late?

The girl opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by the boy across from her standing from the bed quickly.

"Yeah, Uhm, me neither. I have to go meet Karen. I'll see ya." He rushed, slipping out of the other teen's room.

Hurt. That's all Delaney felt at that moment. Sure it was ultimately her fault but god, she didn't think he would leave right then. He caught her off guard, it wasn't fair.

I have to go meet Karen.

The words echoed in her mind. She knew it. She knew that Lip had feelings for the other girl. That he had only kissed Delaney out of passion and confusion. He felt lonely, he needed attention to make up for what he hadn't been getting from Karen. That made Delaney furious.

How dare he.

How dare that boy use her as some stupid game to get what he couldn't get from another girl.

Why would he?

Why would he go to such low levels, it was unusual. Sure if Lip was horny and wanted to bang someone because he wasn't getting it from someone else he'd fuck the thing closest to him, but he had never made Delaney part of his game.

Delaney couldn't help the small tears that continued to trickle down her cheeks. She didn't like to cry. It made her feel pitiful. But this time she couldn't help it, she lost someone.

She knew that even though Lip had barely uttered the words "I'll see you," before he left, it was the last time she would see her best friend.

And it was her fault.

[•]

1 month. A whole fucking month. Delaney couldn't believe it. She knew lying about her feelings may make things awkward but a whole month? She was enraged. Not only had she not seen her supposed "best friend" in a month, but her mother had been nagging her non-stop about this man she had met. Everything was changing. It was crazy for her to think about how easily some people can replace someone they love.

Lip had replaced her with Karen. And her mother had replaced her father with this new man.

She was officially alone.