sixteen

"I care more about her than I care about me."
-Glenn Rhee

{edited 04.13.21}

[•]

[•]

"We're on the way," Ian spoke over the phone, almost inaudible due to the background noise.

"What?" Delanie questioned.

"Tell her we'll be there in ten." She heard another voice yell from the other line.

"Lip says-"

"I heard, wait why are you on the way?" She asked, her confusion evident.

"We're coming to take you out!" Ian spoke, a certain giddiness in his voice. "Gotta go but we'll see you soon!" He spoke again before the girl could respond.

She was more than confused. Why on earth would Lip want to come to visit her out of nowhere? He had Karen, didn't he?

Around ten minutes later Delaney heard a loud honk from the street outside her house. Unaware of where Lip and Ian could have gotten a car, she stepped outside into the brisk Chicago air.

"Lanes!" Ian yelled through a rolled-down honda window. Delaney's eyebrows rose in confusion, slowly making her way to the car.

"Uh, hi. Who's car is this?" She spoke hesitantly.

"Mine," She heard a familiar voice speak up from the other side of the unknown car.

Delaney shifted her attention to the voice, noticing her best friend leaning against the side of the car, his arms laced over the top. His hair disheveled from where he had most likely been driving with the windows rolled down. The black sunglasses he wore framing his face, yet Delaney swore she could still see the piercing blue of his eyes peek through. The smirk was evident on his face.

And holy fuck did he look good.

"Who'd you steal it from?" The girl smirked, moving to where he stood. Ian Gallagher sat in the passenger seat watching as the two teens flirted shamelessly. He loved Delaney, and hell if he wasn't into guys, he might have even tried sleeping with her. But he knew how much his brother cared for the girl, and frankly, he approved. Sure Karen was a nice distraction for Lip, but Delaney kept him grounded.

"Hey! Let's go!!" Ian spoke through his unrolled window to the opposite side of the car. The two teens jumped out of surprise before turning their attention back to one another.

"Here, I'll help." Lip smiled, holding his seat forward enabling the girl to crawl to the seat behind his.

Lip's heart continued to beat rapidly as he helped his best friend into the back, his hand gently placed on her back.