12

Warning! Time skips! A bunch!

"How come you never told me?" Nathaniel asked me after my brother has left.

"I'm sorry. It's just not something that u would just want to go up to people and say. I can't just be like 'hey if you are wondering where my scars are form, they are from me being in the military!'" I said.

Nathaniel sighed, and hung his head. "I know. It's just, I don't want to lose you." He said, I could see the distress in his eyes.

"Yeah there is something else I need to tell you." I said. Nathaniel nodes and I took I deep breath. "I was called up. I am leaving next month. They really need me there because some people got hurt at mine fields." I whispered.
Nathanael's eyes filled with tears as he pulled me into a tight hug.

"Please don't go." He said into my shoulder. "I don't want to lose you!" He said.

"I have to. I'm sorry."

********

It has been two weeks and Nathaniel has been a bit distant, but still as sweet as ever. I could see the hurt and worry in his eyes as the day of my departure approached.
A lot of people at school apologized to me and no longer made fun of me, except for a select few.

"So, are you entering the talent show? Because admit it, you can SING!" Max asked as we passed by a talent show flyer.

"I don't know, should I?" I raised an eyebrow at him as I looked at the half filled sign up sheet.

"Yeah you should mate. With that gold voice of yours, you'll blow the stage!" He exclaimed. Without waiting my approval, he scribbled down my name and out sing under the talent.

"Max!" I whined.

"What did he do now?" Nathanael's voice came from behind me.

"He signed me up for the stupid talent show!" I groaned.

"Thank you Max. I have been trying to convince her for about a week." Nathaniel said, giving Max a high five.

"You two--" I didn't get to finish my sentence because the stupid bell rang.

"Gotta get to class!" Two two said at the same time, and disappeared down the hall."

*****

It was there day of the talent show, and exactly five days before I have to leave. I have prepared just the right song.

I was backstage, waiting for my turn to sing. This song is addressed right to Nathaniel. I have seen him get more depressed by the day, his eyes duller, and bags under his eyes getting darker.

I was finally called up on stage, a piano set in the middle. I sat down, putting the sheet of music in front of me. Pressing on the first key, I began to sing This is Gospel by Panic! At the Disco.

By the end of the song, I had some tears escape. I looked into the audience, and saw Nathaniel with his head in his hands, his shoulders shaking. I left that stage, without a bow.