13

"I don't understand this shit." Max whined, as he dropped down next to me with an open notebook.

"What?" I asked, taking his notebook which was science.

"The freaking  system! I am used to the metric system! I don't know what this shit is! Hell, I don't even know what a pound or an ounce looks like. I am filing a complaint." He pouted.

"I've seen the metric system and to be honest, it seems a lot easier to me too. But you'll learn it. Don't worry." I said, patting his shoulder.

"So. Are you still not talking?" He asked, turning serious.

I sighed. "Yes. He doesn't talk to me during class and he is back to sitting with his friends over there. It hurts." I choked back a sob. Max's  arms wrapped around me and I let tears escape.

"It hurts so damn much Max."

"Shhh. He'll come around. He won't let you leave without saying a goodbye."

"But I leave tomorrow Max.Tomorrow. What if he forgets or doesn't show up because he doesn't want to?"

"He will sweetheart. He will."

-----------

"You better know get hurt out there! I am still yet to meet you in real life missy!" Jackson scolded me the next day over Max's phone.

"I'll try my best Jack. But no promises. I am going to a mine field." I said.

"But you still better come back in one piece and alive. Because meeting a lifeless body would be depressing." He sighed. There were some voices in the background making Jackson turn around, before turning back to us. "Well, I gotta go. Stay safe and see you in two weeks." He said and after we said our goodbyes, the line went dead.

I turned to Max, who opened his arms to give me a hug. I gladly fell into his arms. It felt nice to get a hug from at least someone other than my brother.
I pulled away from Max, just as a knock sounded in the wooden oak door.

"I'll get that." I mumbled and walked towards the brown door. Swinging it open, I saw the very person I thought wouldn't show up. He opened his arms and I flew into them, Neely knocking him over. I wasn't going to be like one of those cliché girls who throw a tantrum and get mad at their boyfriend just because he ignored her. No. I understand.
I was just worried that I was not going to be able to see him when I leave, and possibly not see him at all.

"I am so sorry for ignoring you." His voice sounded cracked and broken. "It was just so... Hard." He said, holding back a sob.

"I understand. Completely. I know it could be very scary. I went through the same thing with my brother."

"Just promise me you will come back. Please." He cried. The tears falling on my shoulder and some staying on my neck.

"I can't. It's unpredictable and you know it."

"But please. I need you. I wouldn't be able to move on. I love you." He pulled away, and looked down at me. Right in the eyes.

"I live you too. But if something happens, you are a free man." I declared. Nathan stared me down until he sighed in defeat.

"Fine. Just know that I love you so fucking much, and you coming back, will make me the happiest man on earth." He said softly. I nosed and then pulled him into the house.

Nathaniel's POV

She pulled with her into the house, and I saw her military bag and boots standing by the door. Waiting.

The bag matched her uniform

The bag matched her uniform. It was the exact same color and print. Just seeing it broke my heart from the already million shattered pieces. Into a million more.

She walked over to her boots, and started lacing them up tightly.
I looked away and cough Max with the corner of my eye.

"I knew you would show up." He said with all his Aussie accent.

"I wouldn't miss saying goodbye to her." I said quietly and watched as Blair threw her bag that seemed to wight at least 60 pounds, over her shoulder.

"Well. I have to leave. I have an appointment in thirty minutes." Max said, and gave me a man hug, and Blair a hug that a best friend would give.

"Well. The car should be here soon. We should probably go wait outside." Blair said and walked out the door, me following suit.
She intertwined our hands and I raised them up to kiss the back of hers.

A few moments later, a black van pulled up, with all its windows rolled down to reveal maybe four girls and six guys all packed in there.

Blair turned towards me, and before she could say anything, I pulled her into a kiss. I heard cheers and gasps of shock coming from the van but I didn't give a damn. Right now, I just wanted one last kiss from Blair before she leaves.

The kiss was long and passionate, and when we pulled away, we both whispered our "I love you"s before she disappears into the van.

And then, my heart officially shattered into 4 million pieces.

----

By the way to all of you out there who have noticed my excessive use of commas, is because we use a LOT of commas in the Russian language. I even got points take off my paper and the teacher write THREE times "TOO MANY COMMAS!!!" Just because of this reason :D