14

I am going home in two day. Two days.
We have successfully lighted four minefields, and have successfully blew them up without anybody getting hurt.
Right now, we were on our last search before we start to pack our bags and take the twelve hour drive to the base. And then another three hours home. I wasn't paying attention to the road we were going.
And there was really nothing to focus on. Sand and dust. That is probably it.

Looking ahead now, I saw that I was jammed between the two tallest, and biggest men in the group, who were always extremely overprotecting of me

Rick and Broody. Both standing at the height of 6'7, and having muscle on their arms the size of my head, they easily towered over me, and never really let me near any danger.
Thus were well known in our town, and even better known around the base since they have saved a fair amount of lives. And they were very popular around the female population  since they did have nice faces and muscles.

"You know, you can go stand in front of Melinda, of Jeff

"You know, you can go stand in front of Melinda, of Jeff. I think they will appreciate it much more." I said nonchalantly.

"Yeah. But you're the youngest. And you're like our sister so it is our job to protect you missy." Rick said.

"And plus, we can't let you be first in line. It's dangerous." Broody followed.
I just rolled my eyes at two two and carried on walking.
It was nice being tall in the military since you could see far and look out for trouble.
But being short has its benefits as well, since you are closer to the ground and little mine bumps are more visible to you. It's like picking mushrooms. The shorter you are, the more you find.

I zoned out again, thinking of the homecoming. Will Nathaniel be there? Will Jackson? What about Blake? Or has he left for college already since the semester started last week. So many questions, and the answers will only be given in 48 hours.

I focus back on the road, only to see that Broody is raising his leg, and is about to step on a mine.

"Broody! Watch out!" I yell, and then jump on him will all my strength, successfully pushing him the other direction from the mine, but, not completely and then next thing I know is that there is an explosion, a giant pain on my back and chest, and Broody's bloodcurdling screams of pain, as well as Ricky's and the others shouts.

Nathaniel's POV

She should be coming back in two days, and I am planning on doing everything I can to make her at least coincided quitting the military. It breaks my heart even thinking about her being there, and I feel the actual pinch of a needle in my heart every time I think of her there.

It's scary.

My phone rings all of a sudden, just as I am sitting in the middle of Calculus class. School stated back up three days ago so that is why I am in class. The teacher looks at me with a look that's says "seriously?" But my ringtone is A Match Into Water by Pierce The Veil so I am not complaining about scaring the entire class half to death.
I take my phone out and see that the phone number is from the area around the military base.
I give the teacher a pleading look and he says
"If it is an advertisement you have detention." He said and I quickly answered the call.

"Hello?" By now all the eyes in the class were on me.

"Hello, is this Nathaniel Cruz?" A strong male voice said.

"Yes. Yes it is."

"You have been put as one of the top people on the emergency contact of Blair Collins. Her brother is not answering, and her parents are not either."

"Yes. Go on." I said, getting a bad feeling in my gut. As if what he was going to say, I was not going to like.

"We are asking you to report to the Military Clinic, seeing as your girlfriend is currently there after a landmine accident."
I inhaled sharply. This is exactly why I didn't want her going. My eyes started to water and I didn't give a fuck if I broke down in front of the whole class right now.

"Do you know if she is okay?" My voice shook.

"I don't know son. All I know is that they rushed her in along with two other guys. One was the others brother. I'll make you a pass kid. All you have to do is state your name and show your ID at the gate. Her room is 359."

"Thank you. I'll be there as fast as I can. Two hours if I am lucky." I hung up, grabbed my stuff. And walked out without sparing the teacher a glance.