12. Car Ride

Camila ignored Lauren's message and those that followed. She skipped rehearsal three days in a row, although she kept practising at home alone. She spent most of the time locked up in her room and barely talked to her parents or Sofi. She had somehow built a protection wall between the exterior world and her inner self. It was what she always did when she found herself in a stressful situation. It helped her to battle her anxiety. Either she behaved in such a manner or she had to engulf countless pills that made her feel way worse. But her barrier wouldn't stand still for much time.

Camila's phone buzzed, indicating a message had arrived to the device. Camila picked it up, thinking it was her mother's mandatory text reminding her not to forget to go to the store and buy groceries, but she was wrong. It was Lauren.

Lauren Coach: Camila, this is the last warning. Either you come tomorrow to rehearsal or you better forget about the VMAs.

Camila rolled her eyes in annoyance. She'd known Lauren would bring the VMAs up at some point and Camila knew she couldn't and wouldn't refuse to go. And so, she texted Lauren back.

Camz: I'll be there tomorrow. I feel much better now.

Lauren: You can cut the crap, Camila. I know you aren't sick.

Camila didn't bother to reply. She texted Louis instead.

Camila 🌈: Hey Louis. May I ask you for a favor?

Louis 🇬: Favour*

Louis 🇬: Jk. Spill.

Camila 🌈: Can you give me a ride tomorrow?

Louis 🇬: Sure, lad. I'll pick you up at 7:30 :)

Camila 🌈: Thanks!

Louis 🇬: Haven't seen you around in rehearsal lately. You ok?

Camila 🌈: I've been sick but I'm fine now.

Louis 🇬: Great then! See you tomorrow.

The only reason the Latina had asked for a ride was avoiding as much as possible the chance of being alone with Lauren the next day. Camila figured that if she arrived and left accompanied, she wouldn't have to deal with the green-eyed coach.

Camila plugged her phone into the charger and left it on the nightstand. She went straight to bed, knowing that the next day would be one of the longest of her entire life.

***

Beep, beep! Camila heard Louis honking outside and after giving the final touch to her make-up, she rushed downstairs to meet her team member. Louis drove a black, elegant BMW. Even though Camila hadn't got the slightest knowledge about cars, she could tell this one was a high-end model. She found Louis standing next to the passenger door and saw him open it for her, as she came closer.

"How kind of you!" Camila said, amazed at the boy's chivalry.

"I'm an English gentleman, what did you expect?" Louis stated, winking at Camila.

"Nice car, by the way" Camila complimented the machine, as she got inside of it. The interior was pretty luxurious, with spacious, leather seats.

"Oh, it was Harry's father present to me due to our second anniversary. He gave Harry a flat, where we live right now. He's a very successful business man, you know?" Louis explained, as he started the engine.

"So Harry's parents know about you two. That's cool"

"Yeah. My parents are also very supportive. I'm really grateful for them"

"My parents... Not so cool about that. Don't get me wrong, I love them very much and I'm very thankful for all they've done for me but they can be pretty stern regarding religious issues."

"Why? What do they say?" Louis asked, a hint of concern present in his voice.

"They think that, well, people like you-"

"Gay, Camila, I'm gay. You can say it out loud. It's totally okay" Louis added, sensing the girl's discomfort towards the word.

"Yeah, whatever. The thing is they think it's against God's plan, it's like drifting away from the path one must follow" Camila nervously tried to explain her parents' point of view.

"That's bullshit and you know it" Louis replied harshly.

"I...I don't know anymore"

"You don't know what?"

"If it's right or wrong or what. All my life I've been told that's totally unnatural for a man to love another man. But then I see you and Harry, for example, and you seem so genuinely in love and so happy... It makes me think"

"Camila, if you actually thought it was wrong, I wouldn't have let you ride in this car. I wouldn't be even speaking to you."

"I don't think it's wrong, but it doesn't feel right either."

"Feel? What do you mean by 'feel'?" Louis was perfectly aware of what that 'feel' meant, but decided to play the subtlety card.

"Uhm... I mean... Suppose that..." Camila seemed unable to enunciate a coherent phrase.

"Mila, have you ever liked a girl?" Fuck subtlety, Louis thought.

"No!" Camila quickly replied, feigning innocence.

Louis stopped the car at a red light and took the opportunity to shoot Camila a I-don't-believe-you-at-all look.

"Well...Maybe" Camila acknowledged, staring at Louis defeated.

"Finally!" Louis sighted, somehow relieved. "I thought you'd never admit it" he told the girl, as he dramatically raised his hands in the air, as if he was thanking (ironically enough) God.

Why do you have to be so stupid?" Camila exclaimed, playfully hitting his arm.

At that moment, the traffic light turned green, allowing them to continue their trip to the TV set.

"And who is the lucky girl, may I ask?" Louis smirked as he asked the question.

"What?" Camila replied, confused.

"Who do you like, dumbass?"

"Oh. I can't tell you that"

"No way! You have to tell me" Louis begged.

They arrived at the studio's parking lot, giving Camila the chance to get off the car and dodge the question. After having parked the vehicle, Louis joined Camila's side who was already walking to the set's entrance.

"Don't think you're gonna get away with this. You'll have to tell me, sooner or later" Louis warned her.

Camila didn't bother to reply. She had spotted a very familiar silhouette standing in front of the studio's door. Lauren had her arms crossed in front of her body and didn't seem very happy to see a certain brunette coming back to the set after three days of unjustified absences.