Since 2020

I wake up early like i planed. I lauds out of the bed and pull my hair back. I lean down over Zach's sleeping body where he lays peacefully.

"I'm sorry, love." I whisper and kiss his forehead. Something he's done for me more than I can imagine and right now I feel like this might be the last I see of him. I packed my bags last night and I set them by the door. I change into a purple shirt and white shorts. I tie a light jacket around my waist just in case I would need it on the plane. I pull out a piece of paper.

Dear Zach,

I'm sorry I left so rushed. I'm going to be wondering my whole life if you have forgiven me but I think this is for the best. I'll send the money to pay off the apartment but I'll probably be back in California before you can even open your eyes and read this note. Once again I'm sorry this is how it had to happen but promise me you'll forgive me.

Love,
Holly

I bring my hand up to my face to wipe away a tear if barely remembered falling.

"I'm sorry." I whisper as I open the door and leave. It's misty in this morning and only a few businessmen walk the streets with their buttoned tuxes and brief cases full of secrets. I roll my luggage out just down the street and pick up a newspaper. It's a picture of me walking out of mr. Lutz building.

Holly Thorn turns down John Lutz once again! Will she ever break?

I roll my eyes and throw it back down. I make my way to the airport that I'd ride a plane on from here down to north California.

•••

I push through a small crowd gathered around me and make my way to my airplane section.

"I'm sorry but I'm going to be late." I say to a news reporter and leave in a rush.

I'm quickly on my plane in one of the front rows with drinks being offered.

"No I'm good thank you." I shake my head and buckle my seat belt.

I think to Zach. Maybe he's still sleeping and hasn't realized my warmth no longer accompanies him in his bed.

Zach's POV

"Holly!" I scream through the house when I get up. She wouldn't have left without telling me. I think to myself. I run into the kitchen and see a note.

"No, no, no." I start and grab the note. Once I've finished the note I feel tears prick at my eyes. I pick up my phone an dial Hollys number as quickly as my thumbs can move.

"Holly pick up the phone!" I scream into the screen. It rings and rings but nobody makes a move to pick up the phone. I shake my head and hit my fist against the wall.

Forgive her? She just ruined my life. I think to myself. But there isn't anything I can do right now. I pull out my suit and tie. I slide into black pants and a white buttoned shirt then top it with. Luckily the hospital is only a mile down the road and a taxi can easily cover that distance in a minute without much traffic.

•••

"Mr. Wilson." A middle aged man that I new well from this job. He could pass as a sixty year old almost from his aging job as chief of the hospital.

        "I have a case?" I ask.

       "Yes."

         "And it is a..?"

        "Newborns brain transplant." He says.

        "What?!" I ask.

        "You heard me."

        "That hasn't been attempted since 2020!" I exclaim.

        "That's why your going to tell us the best way to do it." Peters says.

        "I was one of the first ten to take the new online program." I say.

         "Yes, and the only one who could succeed to me a pediatric surgeon. In a one year program! It's amazing!" Peters exclaims.

        "I haven't been in an OR once!" I retort.

        "You plan the surgeries. Then other surgeons actually do it." Peters says.

        "This government has turned a job that one person can do, into one job two people." I say and start walking off. "Where's the kid?" I ask.

      "Just in the nursery." Peters tells me.

       "Okay." I say and ride the elevator down to the third floor and walk down the halls to the nursery. I recognize the machine the baby is hooked up to. He doesn't have a brain but he lives only with the newest technologies. It's terrible.

       "Mrs. Stevens." I smile and put on my best show face. "Hi, I'm Doctor Wilson I'll be designing the surgery on your son." I reach out my hand and she shakes it.

        "Will you be the lead surgeon cause I don't remember your name." She says hesitantly.

       "No, Dr. McCarthy will be performing the surgery. I'm just the one who designs it and interacts with the patients." I smile.

       "Oh thank you Dr. Wilson. Do you really think this will work?" She asks looking down at the baby in the glass container. You would almost think it was a normal child if you hadn't seen the scans on his brain. It's dying with a disease not yet cured.

         "We will do everything we can do." I promise her.

___________________________

Authors note!

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!

⚡️Darcy⚡️