Watching Him Love

Sirens.

Voices.

It wasn't that my head hurt it was I was too occupied with my baby.

What was wrong with her?

Then someone grabs my hand. It was Zach. I knew without looking. I was in an ambulance I think.

"It's okay Holly just breathe. Whatever's wrong, our baby still needs oxygen." I nod at his words and feel my shirt being pulled up but it wasn't Zach.

Was that a portable ultrasound machine? No I had no idea what it was called, I just recognized the goo squeezed onto my stomach.

"Let me get it!" Zach hisses pulling his hand away from me. I then feel his hand on my stomach instead and the handle moving on my stomach.

"Get her into the hospital." Zach says his voice deadly soft. "Right. Now."

"Zach what's wrong?" I ask closing my eyes. "Please tell me she's alright."

"Just focus on breathing okay? Use your mask." He holds he mask onto my face and I try to breathe.

"Get her in with Carrie. Dr. Hagerman." Zach says. Was I at the hospital he worked at? I couldn't tell. I'd been there sure just not in the emergency room that often. Is that why he knew the doctors so well?

"She has a patient." Another voice says.

"No she's checking her patient. She doesn't have her surgery for another week. I need her right now tell her it's Dr. Wilson and it's important. Really important, Dr. Kiser." Zach's voice broke and I thought I broke with it.

"Yes sir." And that was all he said.

"Who was that, Zach?" I ask my voice week. "Does he work for you?"

"He's an intern. But don't worry about it, okay? I'm getting the best prenatal doctor here." Zach takes my hand.

"What is it Dr. Wilson?" It was a girls voice now.

"It's the baby." He's panicked. I know and it's awful.

"Your baby?" But she's already started working on me and checking my heart beat. "Have you already got an ultrasound?"

He might of nodded. I guess he nodded.

"And?"

Then he starts whispering.

"Zach, please don't whisper like I'm not here. I want to know what's happening." I say weakly.

"It's okay don't worry, Holly." I feel his hand on my shoulder and his lips on my forehead.

I felt the gel on my stomach again. Except this girl did it quicker. She moved the knob around my stomach then quickly cleaned it up.

"We need to Get her to an OR as soon as possible, Zach." Her voice is worried.

"You aren't seriously taking her out already? She's way too young still. This is two months early!" It was Zach. We're they really about to take her out?

"No please don't take her. She's not reading she's still so small." I stay quietly but she can hear me I think.

"Only if it comes to it. I promise I'll try not to okay?" She says.

"Ann I going to be awake during this?" I ask.

"Trust me, hun, you don't want to be awake during this." She says. "Let's get her down there now, okay?"

"Zach it's going to be okay." I wish I could've been the one to tell him that but instead it was Carrie. I couldn't promise him that. I wouldn't.

"Holly be brave okay? Tyler needs you to be okay and this baby needs you to be okay. I need you to be okay. I won't be okay if you aren't okay. He kisses my forehead again and I'm wheeled to get prepped for surgery.

•••

I wake up and the room is dull. I haven't been in a dull roomed hospital before.

"I've never seen him care so much. He's already so strict and private at work." I didn't recognize the voice.

"Dr. Wilson just really loves his family. That's all." Different voice just not familiar.

"He got really upset. Had to leave."

"Wouldn't you be?" Another snorts. "Look at his wife she's really pretty. I heard they've known each other since middle school and they both had a rough life. I heard she had all this stuff wrong with her though as a kid."

"Shut up don't talk about her like she isn't in the room. Dr. Wilson will be back soon anyway."

I make some sort of noise so they know I'm awake but as I move I feel lighter. I put a hand on my stomach and it's close to flat.

"Where is she?" I ask. "Please tell me she's okay." I was already sitting up but it hurt.

"Please don't sit up." One of the people said. Each voice belonged to one body. Five people. "You just got out of surgery."

"Is she okay?" I ask again hitting the boys hand away as I sit up.

"She's alive. That's all we know. We are just sent down to watch you." Another by the wall said.

"What about I run down and check on your baby. Dr. Wilson will probably come up too once he's figured out your awake." The same one said. Then he leaves.

"Is she stable?" I ask the left over four.

"I don't know. Dr. Wilson doesn't like interns a lot. He didn't want us to be involved with it. We're pretty new and he doesn't trust us." One of the guys says.

"I don't think I like you guys either." I mutter but they heard me.

"Why don't you guys walk out. Give her space. She has no idea what's going on. I'll watch her." It was the only girl of the group.

"I don't think Dr. Wilson—"

"Just get out!" She says and hurries them out.

"Sorry they aren't very smart." She says.

"Did you see her?"

"No. They didn't us. Dr. Wilson doesn't want anyone but the best to work with her or you." She tells me.

"Was he okay?"

"His baby's alive. That's about as much as hope either of you could've gotten after this." She tells me. "He's still down though. He just wants everything to be okay. Just like you do."

"I know."

"I've never seen him care, though. He's always seemed caring leads patients but not what anybody saw when you came in." The intern told me.

"He's always like that. Always has been."

"You guys met in middle school right?" She asks curiously.

I nod. "Back then everything was wrong. He loved me then and he hasn't stopped."

"None of us have seen him like that. Except for one doctor but he works with crazy people so he might be crazy too." She laughs.

I couldn't suppress my smile. Aaron? Of course he's crazy but he's seen us most of our lives.

"Holly?"