[Chapter 4] The Last String

-Ian's POV-

Natalie sat down on the couch, holding the coffee in her hands, "What about you and Anthony?"

I sat down beside her and heaved a sigh, "He came by a few days ago to get the last of his things."

"I just got the last of my things from Rachael too. Just a week ago, actually," She told me. I looked over at her and saw the sadness in her face, "She didn't even talk to me. She just waved me hello and watched as I left."

-Natalie's POV-

Rachael and I were sitting on the couch after the whole "I choose Anthony over Ian/I choose Ian over Anthony" thing. We didn't talk as much as we used to. This was one of the worst fights, if that even describes it, that we've had. Ever.

She was on her laptop and I was watching YouTube on the TV (we had one of those Google TVs). I glanced over at her and saw her typing away. I leaned over and tried to see what she was doing, but she slammed the screen down, "What are you doing?" She asked me.

"I was just trying to see what you were doing," I replied, moving away from her on the couch, "Gees, calm down."

She slowly opened her laptop again and continued doing whatever she was doing.

As the day went on, the more and more we remained silent, the more and more we just acknowledged each other's presense but did nothing about it. I got fed up with it. At the dining table, I slammed down my silverware, "Why did you choose Anthony?" I cried. It was the question on my mind all day, "He was obviously the wrong one!"

She looked up from her plate of half-eaten pizza, "No, Ian was."

"How!?!" I shouted, leaning back in the chair, "Because I think he needed us and you went for Anthony just because you like him!"

"He has Kalel!" She screamed at me, "It's not like I have a chance with him anyways!"

"You're right! YOU DON'T!" I yelled.

She glared at me, "Well it's not like you have any better chance with Ian!"

"Oh, you want to go there?" I retorted furiously, standing up. She mirrored me with a glare, "Fine! We can play it that way!"

"Why don't you just move out!?!" She shouted, her cheeks red with anger, "It'd make it easier on all of us! And then you can be with that attention-whore of yours!"

We just stared at each other for a few moment in silence before I rushed to my bedroom. She pulled the last string. I knew it. She knew it. The whole world knew it. And I could tell it in her voice and in her silence as I walked away. Right after she said those words, she regretted it.

That night, both of us just went to our bedrooms. Not speaking a word to each other. Not checking on the other person. Nothing. And that night, I got an idea.

*****

As I threw my clothes into a luggage bag, I heard a knock on my door. I didn't say anything, but the cracked open slightly, "Nat?" Rachael's voice sounded over the sound of my radio.

"What?" I snapped back, continuing to pack my bag.

She opened the door fully and saw what I was doing. She gasped and put her hands up to her mouth, "No...Are you seriously...?" She couldn't even finish her sentence.

"It's what you wanted, right?" I asked her, stopping briefly in my tracks, "Right?"

"Nat, I...I only said that out of anger. You should know that. I...I didn't mean it."

"Well too bad," I replied, going back to packing.

"Don't you think it's a little too drastic, Nat?" She questioned, blocking the way from my dresser to my luggage bag on my bed, "I mean, we just chose different sides. That doesn't mean you have to move out!"

"Rach, Ian needed us. And you chose Anthony's dumbass side," Before she could give her input, I continued, "He's always been in the shadows, don't you see that? And I don't think anything's wrong with him for wanting a little more out of it!"

"He wants all, though, Nat! Not just a little!" She argued.

I shook my head, "Whatever. And I called Meghan (Camarena), she said I could stay at her place until I find a place of my own." I zipped my bag and dropped it to the floor.

"Nat, please..." She begged, choked up.

"No," I walked around her and out to the front room, where Rachael followed me.

I opened the door and looked back at her. She was standing in the bedroom hallway, staring at the ground. "Bye, Rach," I said before closing the door behind me.