[Chapter 11] Too Afraid To Apologize

-Anthony's POV-

I walked up to the door with Rachael and pulled out my keys. I glanced over at her and saw her looking everywhere but me and the door. "Don't be nervous," I told her.

"'Don't be nervous'?" She repeated, "I'm nothing but nervous, Anthony."

I heaved a sigh and slipped the key into the lock. I turned the doorknob to the right and pushed it open. Natalie and Ian weren't here yet. I invited Rachael in and closed the door behind her. I walked in, but she stayed by the door. I walked towards her and tilted her chin up so she wasn't staring at her feet, "Why are you so nervous, Rach? Just tell her exactly what you told me," I remarked.

She shook her head and walked around me to sit on the couch, "I told her that the day she was packing. She didn't care to hear what I had to say."

"Well that was then," I retorted, sitting down beside her, "This is now. Just tell her what you told me, Rach, and mean it."

Rachael glanced over at me and frowned, "What if it doesn't work?"

"It'll work," I assured her, smiling, "I know it will."

She heaved a sigh and rested her head on my shoulder, "What would I do without you, Anthony?" She questioned softly with a slight laugh. I looked down at her and smirked. Just then, the front door opened and in walked Natalie and Ian. Rachael and I both jumped to our feet.

"Hey guys," Ian greeted as he shut the door behind Natalie, "How have you been?"

I nudged Rachael in the arm, indicating that she should be the one to answer. She cleared her throat and replied, "We've been good. How about you?"

Ian wrapped his arm around Natalie's back and pulled her close to him, "We've been good too, right, Nat?"

"Yeah," She mumbled, staring at her sister with an expressionless look. I looked over at Rachael and saw her head was tilted down in avoidance of her sister's gaze.

There was only silence in the house, besides the occasional car that passed by or the whir of the computer. I cleared my throat and said, "So, you two haven't talked in a while, how about we do some catching up over dinner? It can be on us, if you'd like." Neither of the girls answered. They just stood there awkwardly.

Ian grinned and replied for them, "That sounds like a lovely idea, Anthony. Why don't we go out?"

"Sounds good," I retorted, a little disappointed in Rachael. "Let's go." The four of us walked out the front door. We decided to take my car. Ian and Natalie sat in the back while Rachael and I sat in the front.

The ride to the restaurant was quiet too. The only words being spoken were from the pathetic commercials on the radio. Nothing was being said between us, and Ian and I shared the mutual feeling of frustration with Rachael and Natalie. We arrived and both Rachael and Natalie were quick to get out of the car.

I looked back at Ian, who was just unbuckling his seat belt. "Dude, I don't know what to do," I told him. He glanced up at me, "Rachael's too afraid to apologize."

"Same with Natalie," He retorted, crossing his arms over his chest. "She wants to make up, but she's worried Rachael doesn't."

"Same with Rachael!" I exclaimed.

There was a knock on the driver's side window. I turned around and saw Rachael and Natalie standing side by side, waiting for us to get out. I opened my car door and stepped out, "Sorry, girls," I apologized.

"Yeah," Ian added, getting out himself, "Sorry."

*****

We were seated fairly quickly and ordered our drinks. While we were waiting, I tapped Ian on the arm (he was sitting across from me with Natalie). I leaned over the table and whispered, "How about you and I go to the bathroom so they can talk?" I suggested.

He looked at me like I was crazy before caving and telling Natalie he'd be right back. I told Rachael the same thing and followed Ian over to the bathrooms.

-Natalie's POV-

I watched as Ian and Anthony fled to the bathroom like a bunch of school girls, constantly looking back at Rachael and me and saying things to one another. I shook my head and looked back at my menu.

"So..." Rachael remarked, setting her menu down, "How have things been at Meghan's?"

"Good," I answered vaguely, "What about things at the apartment?"

"They've been okay," She answered, crossing her arms over her chest, "Anthony's there a lot, so it's not so lonely."

"That's good," I retorted. After that, there was yet another long pause of awkward silence. Usually Rachael would be the one who couldn't stand the lack of words, but today it was me. I broke down and told her, "Look, Rach, I know things went bad between us. But we're sisters and..."

"I want to apologize," Rachael finished my sentence, with the exact words I was going to say. I smiled. She sighed and said, "I'm sorry I said those things to you that night you decided to move out. I didn't mean it. I just want things to go back to the way they were. With us living together. With you and me making videos for YouTube."

"Me too," I said with a growing smile on my face, "Living with Meghan's fun, but not as fun as living with you."

She grinned widely and moved over to my booth where the two of us started talking to each other again like old times. It was good hearing her voice again, even if she ranted on and on about stupid nonsense that I didn't really care to hear about.

-Ian's POV-

Anthony and I walked out of the bathroom after washing our hands and saw Rachael and Natalie sitting in the same booth, talking to each other. I grinned and gave Anthony a high-five for bringing back Nachael.

"Well, one thing's back to normal," Anthony commented, slipping his hands into his pant pockets, "There's just a few more things, one more important than all of the others."

I looked over at him, confused, "What are you talking about?"

He glanced over at me and laughed, "You're serious right now?"

"I'm dead serious," I retorted, not a hint of sarcasm in my tone, "What thing is more important than all of the others?"

"You've got to make amends with your girlfriend! Melanie!" He exclaimed, "Remember her?"