viii

viii

Adrianna looked around, panic rising inside her. Caelen lying lifeless and bleeding in front of her felt all too familiar. It was just as Dragon had left her brother.

She spotted his wife beater lying on the concrete a few feet away and scampered towards it, grabbing it with her bloody hands.

"It's gonna be okay." She whispered more to herself than to Caelen and recalled everything her brother had taught her those nights he came home bruised bloodied.

Caelen moaned in his sleep as Adriana tore the cloth and pressed one half against his wounds. She applied as much pressure as she could without causing him to wince and then finally used the other half of his shirt as a bandage.

She looked around once again, hoping someone had left a tumbler of water, finding nothing. She groaned and let the tears spill, pulling her knees to her chest and rocking back and forth, trying to wipe the feeling of déjà vu.

"Wake up." She said softly to no one in particular, digging her nails into her thighs.

Caelen stirred and slowly, his eyes started to flutter open.

He was lightheaded but his eyes seemed to focus on her.

"Adrianna Novak?" He asked, his voice rusty.

Even though his head spun, at that moment, it was as if she was the only piece of clarity in his blurry world.