e u l o g y

Caelen,

It's been three days since you've been gone. Your parents found out yesterday, the housekeeper brought your absence to their notice. I believe with all my heart that they truly did try to mourn you but how could they? How could they mourn someone they scarcely knew?

Your funeral was held this morning. I didn't go. I couldn't. To the world, I'm not close enough to you to cry over your casket. I don't believe I could shed another tear in your name anyway, you've already taken too much away from me.

You have left so many unanswered questions in my mind, Caelen. How and why did you end up fighting on the grounds? What made you stoop so low that you had to begin to hurt yourself? It couldn't have been money, you have enough of that. I think it was because of your parents. Even though you never would talk to anyone at school, I always knew there was a strain in your life. I knew you weren't on good terms with them but how could I tell you? How could I help you understand that fighting would never give you the love and attention you so desperately craved from them.

I was fifteen years old when my brother was killed in the same sewers, by the same man. He was the light of my life, the only one who felt like family anymore. When I lost him, I thought I'd lost everything. Until I saw you. Not two weeks after my brother had passed, you took his place at the grounds. And I saw a part of him in you. I fell in love with that part of you.

I fell in love with Cobra.

But in those last few days that I knew Caelen Armino, I was falling in love with him too. You brought a spark of hope back into my life, you were dark and mysterious and I wanted to drown myself in you. Now that you're gone, you've taken Cobra with you and left me to pay for your foolishness.

We could have made it, I really believe we could have. If only it had occurred to me back then that we should run away. If only I'd been smarter. We could have taken from your parents and fled. What did we have to call our own in this wretched place anyway?

I think about what I could have done for you, every second of every single day. And it seems like regret is the only thing I'm capable of feeling anymore.

You came into my life as Cobra, gave me hope and a whirlwind of experience. You left this world as Caelen Armino, my Caelen Armino.

And although I am so glad to have known you, Caelen Armino, I just wish fate would have given us more time.

Your love,
Adrianna Novak