Change

'Mum this isn't going to work, it won't close,' I tried to tell her for the millionth time.

'How about if you sit on it while I zip it up?' I did as she said and surely enough, the zipper on the old suitcase zipped up.

I stood up to look at it. The sides and top were bulging as if it was about to pop open anytime.

The colours had faded into a rusty red, rather than the bright, vibrant red it once was.

'Is that the last of it?' Mum asked, gazing up at me.

'Yep that's the last one.' I offered her a hand, pulling her up off the floor.

She stood up and placed two hands on my shoulders, looking me dead in the eye.

'Make sure you enjoy yourself ok, and spend a lot of time with your dad, this may be the last time you see him, keep that in mind,' I guess, to any normal teenage girl, these words may have brought tears to their eyes, no matter how much they tried to deny it, but I however, could not care less.

I had come to terms with with the fact that this would most likely be the last time I saw him, but I still hadn't forgiven him for leaving.

'Mum don't worry, I'll be fine.'

'I know honey, it's just hard. Stay safe ok? And please try to stay out of trouble.'

'I can't guarantee anything,' I joked.

'Dan,' she warned, 'Now go put your suitcase in the car.'

My alarm rang clear through my ears, waking me up.

I reached my arm out, moving it around my bed as I searched for my phone, not bothering to open my eyes.

They finally fell on a cold, hard, vibrating object. I opened my eyes to look at the screen of my phone and switch it on.

It read 4:30, I didn't even know 4:30 existed.

I tried to look around my room, only to find darkness.

A light knock on the door lead to my mum walking in slowly, turning the light on.

'C'mon Dan, we're leaving in half an hour. Gotta get up, get dressed.' I gave a grunt in response, to tired to form proper words.

She walked back out with a sigh, leaving the door slightly opened.

After 5 minutes of convincing myself to get up, I was finally able to pull myself out of bed.

I walked to my wardrobe, pulling out the only clothes left in my closet, an American flag top, torn, high waisted jeans, black combat boots and a nice jacket.

I then proceeded to do my makeup before making my way to the kitchen.

Cory and mum were already at the table, finishing their breakfast.

Cory looked even tireder than I felt as he shoveled the last spoonful of cereal into his mouth.

'C'mon Dan, you're going to miss the flight if you keep going at this speed.'

'No flight, no dad. All good,' I smiled back. Mum stood up to put her bowl in the sink.

'C'mon Dan, please, not today,' she sighed.

'I know, I know.'

She threw me an apple, 'eat that in the car, we've gotta go.'

I picked up my on board luggage from beside the door and walked out to the car.

'You two better look after each other, and Danica, not to hard on your dad ok?' Mum reached over to plant a kiss on my forehead.

'Mum, please,' I complained, whipping the top of my head with my sleeve.