Chapter 15

Naruto's Pov

I glanced at Sasuke where he sat next to me on the couch, holding my hand tightly in his own and my eyes flickered to his head. He had taken the wrapping off and just had a gauze covering the wound. It was a few days after he had been attacked and we were sitting in the lobby of one of Sasuke's hotels, waiting for Shikamaru and Kakashi. Sensing my gaze he squeezed my hand but didn't look away from the paperwork in his lap. I looked around the room, it was empty being that it was late at night and I wondered if Shikamaru would even come. I had called to let him know I was fine and staying with Sasuke and he had exploded, demanding I come home straight away and have nothing more to do with him.

I heard the door open and looked over in expectation but it was only some guests coming back. I could feel Jugo standing behind me, his presence like a large bear. I let go of Sasuke's hand and stood up. Instantly he looked up from his paperwork, panic in his eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"It's okay Sasuke I am just going to the bathroom."

Jugo stepped forward and followed me and I let out a small sigh. The moment we had left the small sanctuary that was Sasuke's house in the woods he had become overprotective. He stayed glued to my side and when he couldn't be beside me he had Jugo or Kakashi guard me. It was endearing but also annoying at the same time. I was never truly alone and I found myself missing the moments at his house where we could relax. However, life moved on and there was still the drama with Madara.

I finished my business in the bathroom with Jugo standing guard outside and had finished washing my hands when the door burst open. I spun in shock, my hands raised in defence but it was only Shikamaru.

"You made it!"

His mouth was set in a grim line as he moved forward and grabbed my arm.

"Ow, you're hurting me!"

Ignoring my protest he dragged me out of the bathroom and into the lobby where Sasuke stood, blocking his path. I saw his eyes blaze with anger and his lips peeled back to show his teeth as he snarled.

"Get out of my way."

"You need to calm down Shikamaru, let's talk."

"There is no need to talk, I am taking Naruto and we are going far away to where you can't touch him."

I tried to pull my arm out of his grasp but he was too strong.

"Let me go Shikamaru, this is my decision."

"I won't let you make such a stupid choice Naruto!"

He turned to me and I saw the anger and hurt in his eyes.

"Do you forget how you were after him? That you tried to kill yourself?"

My heart lurched as I remembered those dark days when all I wanted to do was stop the pain. I remembered vaguely Shikamaru and Sakura being by my side but everything was a blur as if I was looking at the world through a bubble.

"Are you really going to put Sakura through that again?"

I winced at the mention of my friend and I could see her weeping face as she screamed at me, bringing me back to life. I bowed my head and stopped fighting. He moved to keep dragging me out the door but Sasuke stepped forward and grabbed his arm.

"I can't let you do that."

"You can't stop me or are you going to use force? Go ahead, show Naruto what a monster you really are, I won't be an easy target."