Chapter 23

I don't know how many days passed in that torture dungeon. My days were filled with pain and exhaustion. Times had been bad at the basement in the first place that Sai had taken me but it was like a switch had flicked inside him and his abuse got worse. He always seemed haunted or angry about something and I was what he used to relieve the stress. I had been resistant at the start, almost disobedient to rile him up but now the smallest things sent him into a rage so I had become compliant. Some nights he was loving and I could almost see the man I had fallen in love with so long ago. He took me out of the dungeon and shared a bath with me. Of course that ended up with him taking me but he was gentler and almost loving. I would enjoy the warmth and the soft bed, even allowing him to spoon me. The basement was like a freezer. I rarely slept the nights I was left down there but instead curled up in the corner with the blanket Obito had given me and tried to still my shivers. I was amazed I hadn't gotten sick yet. I was only given food when Sai was in a good mood or if Obito managed to sneak something to me but it happened very rarely. Everyone was being monitored. Someone was taking out Madara's men and disrupting his operations. There were rumours that it was the masters' son, returned to take his rightful place. It was because of this that Sai was in such a foul mood. They had lost many men, deals had turned sour and money missing. It had to have been Sasuke. He was coming for me.

Late last night Sai had come for me and taken me out of the basement and into one of the guest rooms in the brothel he had me imprisoned in. I hadn't complained and did everything he demanded as the night had been especially cold. Part of me hated that in a way I was no better than the prostitutes in this place, selling my body for some food and a bed. The other side of me, the child of a mafia boss, told me it was too survive and there was nothing to be ashamed of. I was dozing in the comfortable bed, cocooned in the blanket when I heard the door open and closed my eyes, pretending to be asleep.

"Naruto?"

I sat up quickly, ignoring the twinge of pain in my almost healed back, to see Obito close the door and rush over to my bed. He grabbed my hand and smiled.

"I got the message out."

I let out a sigh of relief. Obito had been trying to send a message to Kakashi but since the attacks and rumours anyone who had spent time with me had been buddied up and watched closely.

"It might be some time until I get a reply but the word is out there, you just need to stay strong."

He placed his hand on my forehead, searching for a fever and I saw his eyes take in every fresh cut and bruise on me since he had last seen me.

"No more fever?"

I shook my head. One of the deeper lashes on my back had gotten infected and I had gotten a bad fever from it. I don't remember much of what happened but I do remember the pain as they cut open the wound again to drain the pus and of someone caring for me in a soft bed. Not long after that was when Sai began to show his gentle side. He ruffled my hair before darting back outside. I had just lay back down when I heard footsteps and I shut my eyes quickly, evening out my breath as the door opened. The person closed the door and walked towards the bed where I pretended to be asleep. I recognized the cologne as Sai sat on the edge of the bed and brushed his fingers through my hair. I continued to breathe evenly as he placed a kiss on my lips.

"My dear Naruto. It's good that you're sleeping. Tonight will not be fun, Madara is coming. Don't worry, I won't let him hurt you."

I heard him move to place something on the bedside table, felt him kiss my head and then listened as he walked out the door, locking it behind him. I waited for a moment to make sure he wasn't coming back and sat up, rubbing the place he had kissed, my heart thumping in my chest. Madara was coming? Why now? Was it because of the attacks? He must know it isn't really about me though, after all I had been imprisoned and not allowed to see the light of day. I thought of the emotion in Sai's words and felt my chest tighten. It had sounded like he genuinely cared. I felt my back ache as I kicked the blankets off and the thoughts left my mind as quickly as they had entered. No, he was a monster who enjoyed seeing me in pain. I looked at the table and my stomach gave a grumble as I saw a bowl of porridge and some freshly cut fruit on a tray with a cup of tea. A small note was beside it and it read.