Chapter 28

"Damn, how did they know?"

Gaara cursed as he drove whilst Kakashi kept looking in the mirrors to make sure we weren't being followed. Sasuke had instructed me to stay down and he had draped his jacket over my head to keep me hidden from sight.

"This has the stench of Madara all over."

"But how would he know?"

I peeked out from under the jacket and saw Sasuke, his teeth clenched staring over the back.

"He has been part of this since before I was born. One of your fathers' closest advisors. He would know the signs that we were having a meeting. He would know that you would be out in the open, maybe he thought you would be an easy target."

"Maybe but there weren't that many men, and they weren't that great. It's like he just hired a group of thugs from the street."

Gaara and Kakashi looked at me in question through the mirror and even Sasuke raised his eye brow.

"The guns."

I explained.

"All old guns that you could pick up from any gun shop without a licence. And they were disorganized, working separately rather than together as a group."

"How did you notice all that when we were fleeing?"

"I have good eye sight and you have to be observant. I had to be to survive all these years. Madara didn't give up on looking for me at the start. He wanted to make sure I perished in the snow storm that night."

I looked at the falling snow as I said that and shivered, my parents screams echoing through my mind until Sasuke gripped my hand.

"It doesn't look like we have been followed. Where too?"

"Home. Nobody knows of that place, at the moment it will be the safest place to lay low until we can figure out how we were found out."

I nodded in agreement and Gaara turned the car around.

When we finally reached the long drive way to our house I let out a small sigh of relief. When we pulled to a stop Sasuke jumped out first and helped me out of the car. We were halfway to the house when I realised that the night was too quiet.

"Sasuke, somethings wrong."

As soon as I said the words bullets sprayed the ground between the car and us, forcing Gaara and Kakashi to take cover and Sasuke grabbed me, half carrying, half dragging me to the house. I glanced back as a group of ten shadows emerged from the trees. It was a trap. They had known that we would retreat here, thinking it was safe.

"Gaara! Kakashi!"

They were ducking behind the car as bullets slammed into it.

"Go Naruto!"

Bullets streamed in front of us, cutting off our path to the house so instead we turned to the side and bolted for the trees. Sasuke gripped my hand tightly in his as we ran through the already piling up snow.

"We will loop back to the house. Get you to safety and call in back up!"

Suddenly a dark figure peeled away from a tree and Sasuke pulled me out of the way just as a blade flashed past. I cried out in pain and shock as it sliced deeply into my arm. If I hadn't had moved, that would have been my chest. Sasuke pulled me behind him while he reached for his own knife as Madara stepped into the moonlight, his red eyes shining in the darkness. I clutched my bleeding arm, my heart stopping at the sight of the Uchiha.