Chapter 13

Ergo had flown through the day, heading the opposite direction from where the Owls had flown. She yawned, wishing she had slept past the break of dawn. She sighed and looked around the area. It was a desert, and life was just awakening as the sky darkened quickly. She felt her wings give out and she slowly made her way to a ledge, covered in many plants with a sheer drop just a wingspan in front of her. She was thankful there was a wall behind her as she heard some strange noises. She looked around

"Maybe he's right ... no, Ergo, your just tired. I'll keep going tomorrow, hopefully they won't follow me ..." She mumbled to herself, a tear falling down onto the scorched earth.

She shook her head, trying to shake the thoughts out of her mind. She lowered herself into the plants, shifting herself so that the plants covered her body. She cried herself to sleep, trying to stay silent as the strange noises slowly got louder.

When Ergo awoke, there was a small rodent curled next to her. It had large, bunny-like ears and front arms that hugged its side. It's back legs were long and large hind paws and it was snoring. She blinked, wondering if she could eat it, but she found herself unable to even open her mouth. She simply laid down, watching as the sun got higher, hoping it would leave so she didn't have to scare it awake. After some time it continued to sleep and Ergo was becoming impatient. She slowly got to her talons before a loud shrieking sounded above her. She looked up and saw a larger, but still small, creature that was the same as the one that had curled next to her. She blinked and it leaped down, making a hissing sound toward Ergo before kicking the smaller creature. The smaller creature shrieked in alarm and limped behind Ergo. She looked back to the larger creature as it hissed and made sounds towards the other. They went back and forth with strange sounds before finally the larger one leaped, with sharp claws extended out from the front paws, at the smaller one. The smaller one squeaked in alarm and hid more behind Ergo, and she looked around confused. She was hit by the creature and it bit down on side. She shrieked in alarm stumbling around to try and get the creature off. Finally, she reached down with her beak and dig it into the creature's back, immediately killing it. Blood squirted onto a plant before Ergo quickly took it out of her side and ate it whole. A sound made her turn her attention back to the creature. It hopped towards her and lodged itself on her back. She sighed.

"Guess we're a duo, then." She took to the sky, making sure the little creature didn't fall.
"I'll call you ... uh ..." She mumbled.
"Mambo!" It squeaked, the only thing Ergo could understand.
"Mambo?" She asked, amazed as it nodded. "Well, alright Mambo, I hope you know what your getting into." She said, flying onwards with newfound energy.

Well Mambo is passed off the little Jerboa things from Ark: Survival Evolved Scorched Earth (Its a lil baby XD) anyway, this chapter is short, but I have a feeling it's going to be important.