Chapter 5

Max's POV:

Adam and I search the rest of the penthouse for Sam, Malcolm, John, and BK. After a few minutes of wandering, my Lumen shining brightly in the pitch blackness, I hear panting. A dog panting.

I turn around to face where it's coming from and see BK trotting over to us. I sigh in relief and so does Adam.

That's when I hear the footsteps behind BK.

I face my palms towards who's making the footsteps, which are coming closer by every step.

John.

I sigh in relief again, run up to John and hug him tightly, and he hugs me back.

When John and I pull apart from our hug, he doesn't look me in the eyes. Instead his eyes are planted on the long cut on the right side of my face. He softly trails his thumb across it, examining it closely.

Adam then clears his throat from behind me. John and I turn his way and he's facing us with a face that reads 'I-feel-like-a-third-wheel'.

BK has the hem of Adam's shirt in his teeth and he's tugging at it. I furrow my eyebrows at BK then look back up at Adam. He shrugs his shoulders.

"He probably just likes the material," Adam says, gesturing to BK. I chuckle and Adam brightens at the smile on my face.

I swear if Six comes crashing in right now...

"Dude!" I hear a voice from next to me. I whip my head that way and see that Eight has teleported next to us.

"We found Sam and Malcolm. The others will be here soon," Eight explains and at that moment, Sam, Malcolm, Six, and Marina come running in.

"We couldn't find Ella. It's like she disappeared," Marina says, a waterfall of sadness in her voice and hidden in her eyes.

"Don't worry, she's in my room, resting. Max found her and I brought her there," Adam replies and Marina sighs in relief.

"I'll go get her," Marina offers, then turns around and runs off to Adam's room. I catch Six's eye and she raises an eyebrow at me.

I roll my eyes at her and turn back to John, Adam, and BK, who has now shape-shifted into a German Shepard, still tugging at Adam's shirt.

I swear if that shirt comes off of him I'm punching something.

Eventually BK gives up on whatever he was trying to do and shape-shifts back into his beagle form. By then, Marina has arrived with Ella, who's now awake, by her side.

We all unsteadily walk to the nearest opening in the wall, a huge hole that all of us can fit through. It's dark outside and thankfully there's no one around to see us.

John and I use telekinesis to bring Sam and Malcolm down first. BK shape-shifts into a small black bird and flies down after them. After that, Marina carries Ella down using her telekinesis and goes down after her. Six goes after Marina and it's just John, Adam, and I.

"John, go," I order John sternly and he shakes his head.

"You go first," John replies and Adam just stands between us, still looking like a third wheel. It's actually kind of funny.

"Do I have to push you down right now?" I ask John, staring him straight in the eye.

"I'll push him down," I hear Adam mutter but John doesn't hear him.