Chapter 20

John's POV:

I look around at everyone. They all seem fine with no serious injuries, but Max is gone.

I don't know what the Mogadorians want her alive for. They've been keeping her alive this whole time. I realized that the Mogs didn't really attack her during the battle. They just kept inching towards her and trying to grab her. Whatever they want to do with her, they need her alive for it.

I look around and everyone seems as confused as I am.

"Where's Max?" Six asks aloud, concern filling her voice, and I look around frantically. There are no more signs of any other Mogadorians or a Mogadorian ship.

"I don't know. At least she's alive." I try to answer calmly but I can't hide the panic in my voice. I keep losing her because almost all of the Mogadorians go for her only. I should've kept my eye on her. I should've stayed by her side and kept her safe, but I failed her. Again.

"Alright, what is going on?!" Nine yells, obviously frustrated. I look at him, my eyebrows furrowed, though I know exactly what he's talking about.

"What?" Five asks him.

"If the Mogadorians wanted Max dead, they would've killed her when they had the chance," Nine replies and I nod my head in agreement.

"You mean 'If the Mogadorians want Max dead'," Six corrects Nine and he nods his head.

"Hold on. Where's..." Marina asks out loud, looking around with her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I don't need her to finish her question to know who she's talking about.

Realization and rage fill inside of me when I notice that Max isn't the only one gone- Ivan is missing, too.

Max's POV:

I don't open my eyes when I wake up.

I've been thrown over someone's shoulder and that person is carrying me somewhere. I pretend to be knocked out while I try to remember what happened.

My head starts pounding like someone's hitting it with a hammer over and over again, and that's when I remember what happened.

Ivan. He knocked me out with his sword after leading me away from the battle with the others.

Hoping Ivan doesn't see me, I slowly peel my eyes open and dart my eyes around. I almost sigh in relief when I realize that it's still the afternoon and I'm still in Chicago, so I don't think I was knocked out for too long.

Panic fills me when Ivan stops and I hear a car door open. I bite my lip to keep from yelling at him. Instead I fall limp and close my eyes to pretend I'm still unconscious as Ivan lies me down in the backseat of the car.

Ivan hesitates then backs up and closes the car door. I open my eyes again and see that I'm in the back of a black van. Very cliché.

I close my eyes again as Ivan opens the front door of the van and climbs in. Tears threaten to roll down my cheeks. Ivan wouldn't do this. He wouldn't betray me again. Betray them.

My mind wanders off to the others, to John and Six and Nine. Especially Nine. I promised him that I would resurrect Sandor for him, and now I'll probably never get the chance.

Ivan starts the car and that's when I decide to finally say something to him.

"Ivan?" I call out to him hoarsely. He turns to me, his eyes wide and his face full with guilt.

"Ivan, what's going on?" I ask him. He turns his whole body towards me and still looks guilty and ashamed.

"Max..." He trails off. He reaches out to touch me and I subconsciously flinch away from him. He looks hurt as he pulls his hand back.