Tight Leash

*Jack POV*

The side of my head was now being burned from the glare Felix was giving me. He had no doubt noticed the communication between Mark and I. But it was my fault for not hiding it, how could I when I was having so much fun talking to him. Me asking for his number was such a leap... where had I even gotten that confidence? Classes had ended for the day and we were all heading for our dorms. Felix was currently not talking to me.

"Oh my is it tense over here!" Mathis exclaimed and slung his arm around Felix and I. Felix just huffed and shot us both a look.

"Jack why is Pewds so grumpy?" He asked as if I would know. Felix and I had been friends from childhood since our parents have always worked together, so we just got use to always being together. Now everyone just roped us in as one.

"How should I know?" I replied feeling a bit upset that I was just suppose to know. Now I think Felix's bad mood was rubbing off on me.

"Alright. Well I have a date with some juicy gossip!" Mathis exclaimed and darted away, honestly I always wondered where he got all the information but I never questioned it... something told me I didn't want to know.

"Okay! So what crawled up your butt and died?!" I asked as our room door closed. Felix fell onto his bed and just stared up at the ceiling.

"Really. Ignoring me?" This attitude he was taking with me was really getting me upset which was kind of hard to do considering I was usually such a happy person.

"Why don't you just go talk to your new bestfriend?!" He spat at me, hatred seeping through each word. Was he really angry that I had befriended the new guy?!

"I'm trying to talk to my bestfriend, but he is being an ass!" I replied. There was always a weird boundary I felt Felix put up, if I ever became close with someone they would suddenly stop talking to me or they would become mean.

"I'm sorry..." he said quietly as he avoid eye contact with me.

"Alright, now can we please just play a video game?" I asked trying to get as far away from the subject but I knew for a fact that it was far from over. Felix nodded and we sat down ready to forget the stupid fight. After several  rounds of Mario Kart there was a loud knock at the door which freaked me out. Opening it, Mathis was there panting and looking shook up.

"Come now!" He huffed, looking over to Felix who looked just as confused as I was we followed Mathis out to the big court yard where a big group had already formed.

"YOU THINK YOU'RE SPECIAL?!" Yelled a voice who I knew too well... it was Onision, a demon known for picking fight for no reason. As we get further into the crowd I could finally see what was going on. Onision was letting his black flames take him and there on the ground with a fresh wound was Mark. My body almost began to move on its own, but before I could I felt someone grab my arm. Felix squeezed tightly, but wouldn't look at me.

"Oooh look the new kid gets the special treatment!" Onision ranted as Bob and Wade rushed over to help Mark. Where were the teachers?! My instincts told me I needed to help him.

"Not going to say anything?" He was now really close to Mark, Bob and Wade were trying their best to keep him away. Mark wasn't even looking anywhere but the ground, he looked focused and very strained. A demons power was really scary, especially when it was on Onision's level.

"Enough of this! What the hell is going on here?!" Mr. DeFranco yelled and was now in between the two. His face was dark, but his eyes went wide when he saw Mark on the ground. Going to pick him up he scanned the crowd and then saw me.

"McLoughlin, you are a healer, correct?" He asked, I simply nodded and he instructed me to follow him.

"And you, go straight to the principals office before I drag you there!" He growled which even made Onision go white. After the crowd began to scatter I followed Mr. DeFranco to an empty infirmary room where he laid Mark down.

"Man, I leave you alone for one second and you some how find trouble," Mr. DeFranco sighed. Honestly it wasn't fair, it wasn't Marks fault that Onision had attacked him for no good reason... I wanted to beat him up.

"Sorry for asking McLoughlin, but you were the first healer I spotted," he said apologizing and I simply shook my head.

"No problamo," I said as I got closer to Mark. There was a bloody claw wound on his cheek that just didn't belong on his face... focusing on my magic I brought my hand up to the wound and gently caressed it until it was healed with the scar gone.

"Hey teach, where can I learn that?" Mark asked as he felt his cheek and to his surprise felt nothing. I smiled thinking he wanted to learn it... not that he could, it was a special ability not even all angels can preform.

"Become an angel," Mr. DeFranco said and I couldn't help but burst out laughing which only resulted in the two doing the same. Before I could ask if they needed anything else or if Mark just wanted me to stay, I was dismissed. Honestly I was sad to have to leave. Shutting the door I remember that I had forgotten to ask if he wanted to me to report to the principal as a witness but before I could open the door again I heard talking.

"Don't give me that look. I promise I didn't do anything. No body knows." Mark said almost pleading.

"You know you need to be careful because-"

"It's a secret... trust me I know," The silence was deafening and only reminding me more that eardropping was not right. But now I couldn't stop thinking about it as I walked back to my dorm... a secret?