Chapter 1: I Now Notice

*Zuri POV*

Zuri kicked the grass at the edge of the Woodchuck porch. Just remembering the mountain she almost fell off of when she and Griff climbed with Luke still gave her chills. As that came to mind, she slowly started to remember how Griff had tried to save her. Huh...

"Hey."

Zuri, just realizing she had been lost in thought, noticed Griff standing above her. His brown wavy hair was surprisingly brushed and he was smiling. He jerked his head towards the main field. "Wanna play some soccer? Though try not to let Ravi get the ball. He might trip."

Zuri just shrugged. "I don't feel like it. Go on without me."

Griff's smile slowly fades. "You okay?"

Zuri nods. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because you would already be on the field playing soccer and passing the ball to Ravi."

Zuri smiled. "Yeah. But really, I'm fine."

Griff just shook his head. "Come on. I'm not stupid. What's wrong?" He stuffed his hands into his pockets and sat next to her on the porch step. He actually looked concerned. "So?"

Zuri sighed. "Relax Griff, I'm not sad. I just wanted to know why you tried to keep me from falling? Why didn't you just scream and run?"

*Griff POV*

Griff realized that what he had done was by instinct. He had seen her in trouble and had tried to save her automatically. He wondered why... But he definitely couldn't tell Zuri that.

He shrugged and chuckled. "Because then you would have died. Duh."

Zuri shifted uncomfortably. "Yeah. You're right. I don't know why I made this such a big deal."

"Uh huh."

"Yep."

"Sure."

"Hi."

"Hey."

The two of them just sat there for a while. Griff felt his cheeks start to burn and realized that his hand and Zuri's were almost touching. Should he? Griff shook his head a bit. No, he thought. I don't even like her. He caught a glance at Zuri's beautiful curly hair that was in two cute ponytails. Her eyes were almost amber, not brown. That's when he questioned the feeling in his gut. Do I like her?

Zuri turned to look at him and Griff felt his face catch on fire. He quickly looked away and found himself scolding himself in his head. Why did you look at her? She probably knows I have a feeling or something. Why did I look away? I could have said that there was something in her hair.

*Zuri POV*

Zuri couldn't believe what was happening to her. Was she feeling something? Maybe it was just Camp Kikiwaka's lunch today. But when she and Griff had locked eyes, she wanted to get rid of whatever was happening to her. She couldn't let anyone know.

"Hey, why don't we play soccer?" Zuri looked at Griff. He grinned and nodded.

"I'd like that."

They got up from the porch and their hands touched for a brief second. They both retracted their hands and Zuri blushed. She saw Griff shuffle his feet uncomfortably.

Zuri forced the panic down. "Come on." She headed towards the main field where Ravi had just fallen.

*Griff POV*

He watched as she walked away. He felt something in his chest. He looked at his hand and grinned.

"Wow. I'm in love. I've never been in love." He stuffs his hand in his pocket and walked towards his friends to play soccer.