Chapter 11: Roses Are Red, Rain Is So Cold...

*Griff POV* 

Honestly, Griff had no idea how he got there. He had just felt a flame ignite inside of him, and the next he knew, he was outside of the Woodchuck Cabin marveling at Zuri through the window. Griff gazed into her golden brown irises, feeling the happiest feeling in a long time. 

That's when reality smacked him. Hard. Like the rain pouring down all around him. Cold gripped his throat and water soaked his clothes until his skin and the rain made contact. Immediately, he hugged himself but he knew that this would make no difference. 

What happened to the warmth? he thought. I had been so warm not long ago... 

He closed his eyes, praying that Zuri wasn't seeing him cry. He felt arms grip his shoulders and guide him through the rain. Finally, the rain stopped but the wind still howled. Griff opened his eyes to see Zuri gape at him in disbelief. The sound of a door closing rang in Griff's ears. As he looked at Zuri, he realized that his eyes might still be puffy from crying. He whirled around to see Lou shaking the rain off her rain jacket. 

"Griff, what the HELL were you doing outside?! And without a raincoat!"

"I'm sorry." Griff meant it. "I just... I was just... um..."

Griff was the master at lying. Acting. Faking. But right now, he couldn't think of a good excuse, which wasn't like him at all. All he could think about was Zuri. She was looking at him. Staring at him. Judging him.

Lou glared at him. "Well?"

Griff shuddered from the cold. "I was-

"It's my fault."

Everyone looked at Zuri, who had stepped forward with a determined look. 

"I dared him. I saw the clouds this morning and could tell it was a bad storm coming, so I told Griff that he was too chicken to stay out there for at least 2 minutes."

Lou looked at her in disbelief. "Why would you make a bet like that?!"

But as Lou continued to scold Zuri, Griff ignored Lou and gazed at Zuri with amazement. What he felt now was a feeling like he had never felt before. 

When Lou was done, she went to the bathroom with Emma to decide Griff's and Zuri's punishment. Zuri looked at him with a slanted smile. 

"You were supposed to be out there for 2 minutes. You were only there for 1."

Griff gave her a look of mock disbelief. "Really?! It felt an hour!"

Zuri giggled and Griff's heart did a somersault. 

An awkward silence greeted them with open arms until Tiffany said, "Um, so are you guys, like, a thing..."

Griff and Zuri locked eyes.

Are we...?

*Zuri POV*

Are we...?