chapter 4- defence against the dark arts for dummies

Chapter 4- defence against the dark arts for dummies

I rushed down into the great hall just in time for breakfast.

“why is it you are always late for breakfast?” Ginny asked me.

“it’s nothing something I choose Ginny, it just happens.” I said as I finally sat down and helped myself to breakfast.

“maybe I should start waking you up.” She told me.

“you should, it would be very helpful.” I said turning and laughing at her.

“what lessons do you have today?” she asked me.

“I have potions and defence against the dark arts, and that’s all I can remember.” I told her.

“defence against the dark arts with the new professor?” she asked me.

“yeah, hopefully she’s a good teacher otherwise this year will be boring.”

“well I’ll see you back in the common room when lessons are over.”

“yeah you will.” I said as we both got up and went our separate ways.

I was currently on my way to my defence against the dark arts lesson. As I arrived I looked around for a spare seat near my friends but they were either already paired together or the seat next to them was taken, which meant I had to find the nearest available seat which happened to be none other than Draco Malfoy.

As I sat down next to him he looked up and smiled/ smirked at me.

“Cliff.” He said.

“Malfoy.” I replied.

As we were waiting for Umbridge to arrive Parvati Patil had made a paper bird and sent it around the classroom.

“go on Seamus get it, hit it.” Dean was shouting as the bird passed them. Draco next to me tried to hit it with paper as Crabbe and Goyle cheered him on. I was laughing at everyone’s attempts as the bird sailed passed and suddenly caught fire. As it caught fire it fell to the ground and landed on the desk.

“ordinary wizarding levels, most commonly known as O.W.Ls.” I heard Umbridge as she entered the lesson and wrote on the board.

“your previous teaching in this class has been quite appalling, the ministry takes the learning of our young wizards quite serious.” She started handing out books to us all.

“everything you need to learn is within these books.” Hermione’s hand shot into the air.

“yes?” Umbridge asked her.

“there’s nothing in here about using spells.”

“using spells.” Umbridge said as she laughed. “I don’t see why you would need to use spells in my lessons.”

“how are we supposed to fight if we don’t know how?” Harry asked.

“and who are you supposed to be fighting against?” she asked.

“hmm.. I don’t know Lord Voldemort.” Harry replied.

“students will raise their hands when in my lesson!” Umbridge shouted at him.

“Let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain Dark Wizard is at large once again. This is a lie.” She told the class.

“It's not a lie! I saw him. I fought him.”

“Detention, Mr. Potter!”

“So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord.” At the mention of Cedric my hands tightened into fists. I may have been able to overcome the grief of his loss but the mention of his name, of his memory still got me.

“Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident.” She told Harry.

“tragic accident my arse.” I replied under my breath and Draco looked at me.

 “It was murder! Voldemort killed him! You must know!” my fingernails were now cutting into the palms of my hands.

“ENOUGH!!! Enough. See me later, Mr. Potter. My office.”  As she said this I stood up and started to walk to the back of the classroom towards the exit.

“and where do you think you’re going?” she shouted at me.

“anywhere but here.” I replied as I walked off.