Ch. 14

It hadn't taken Raven long to fall asleep.  She and Edward had decided to watch her favorite movie,  The Equalizer. Ten minutes into the movie she'd fallen asleep on the couch with her head in Edward's lap.

"How is she?" Carlisle asked as he and the rest of the family made their way up the stairs.

"She was far more tired than she led on. She fell asleep ten minutes into the movie," Edward says.

Rosalie appeared in front of them,  then leaned down to caress her hair. "Maybe I should put her to bed." she meets Edward's gaze.

He hesitated but nods. "Thank you."

The corners of her lips pull up as she gently and carefully lifts Raven into her arms,  bridal style,"I'm coming too." Alice said from behind her. 

The two women calmly made their way up the stairs towards Edwards room.

"So, did the two of you work things out?" Emmett questioned.

Edward nods. "Yes, Emmett, we did. "

"Okay. Will we be welcoming another Cullen or Hale to the family?" Emmett questioned.

"I didn't ask her to marry me,  Emmett," he said softly while meeting his brother's gaze. "We aren't there yet."

"...but you are together, right?" Esme asked hopefully. 

Edward meets her gaze for a moment, then nods. "We are."

Esme's face lights up. "I'm so happy for you!" she squeals, before appearing in front of him and wrapping her arms around him.

"Thank you,  mom."

He's never called her mom before.  Hearing him say it for the first time since they've met made her heart swell with pride.

"You have no idea how much it means to me to hear you call me that."

Edward smiles down at her. "Raven seems to be having a positive effect on him." Emmett slapped his hand on his shoulder. "She's a definite keeper,  bro."

Edward chuckles. "Thank you, Emmett."

~~~*~~~

Raven stood outside Regina and Brian's house with a glare on her face. She didn't want to be here but Edward had convinced her, after three days of convincing, to go and talk to them about why they gave her away.

"I don't like you anymore." she glared up at Edward.

He leans down and places a kiss on her forehead. "I still love you."

She rolls her eyes. "I bet."

With that, she dragged her feet until she was at the front door. She rang the door bell and after five seconds she turns to leave. "Looks like no one is home. Maybe another time."

Suddenly,  the door is thrown open. "Raveonna. You're here." Regina said in a happy tone.

Raven spins on her, a glare etched on her face. "I told you to never call me that." she hissed. 

Edward wraps his arm around her middle and pulls her back when she takes a threatening step in Regina's direction. "Raven, calm down.  It probably just slipped her mind." he says.

"I'm sorry...Raven." Regina says.

Raven stares at her for a moment,  then shakes her head. "This was a bad idea. I shouldn't have come." she turns to look at Edward. "I thought I could do this but I can't.  Every time I look at her all I feel is hatred and betrayal." she pushes passed him but he reaches out to grab her wrist,  pulling her to a stop.

"Cullen,"

Edward holds her gaze while cupping her face. "I know this must be hard but you need to do this,"

She shakes her head. "No, I don't. I don't need this."

"You need closure, Raven."

She shakes her head. "Nope.  No, I don't," she says seriously. "I don't need or want closure."

"I promise I will be by your side the entire time," he lowers his forehead to rest on hers. "You can't have any real peace if you don't ask questions."

Raven closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. "Why can't I just move on with my life," she opens her eyes and looks up into his eyes. "...with you and our families."

"Well,  because I don't want you to have any regrets.  I don't want you to regret not asking," he caresses her jawline. "Deep down you know you need this. I know you, Raven and I know you need to know why they didn't keep you."

Raven Katnis looks over his shoulder at Regina, and now Brian and Rowina, who were staring at her with hopeful and wondered eyes.

"Knowing why won't change anything.  It won't change how I feel about the," she looks back into Edwards eyes. "Knowing or not knowing, I don't care. As long as I have you, I'll be happy."

Edward smiles down at her. "It makes me happy to know that I make you happy,"

"Then that should be enough. Let's just go," she takes his hand and turns to walk away but he doesn't move and inch. "Come on, "

"If we leave today,  we're coming back tomorrow,"

She glares at him,  dropping his hand. "Really?"

He nods.

"You would make me do something I don't want to do?"

He shakes his head. "No, I would have you do something I know you need to do."

"I don't need to do this! Dammit, Edward!" she hissed. "I know why they gave me up! They didn't want me! They couldn't take care of two babies at once so, they made a choice.  I drew the short stick!"

Edward gazed I to her eyes and saw nothing but pain. He knew this was hurting her but he also knew she needed this. A part of her,  a very dark, angry,  hurt and sad part of her, needed to know why.  She needed to hear why they left her in Charlie and Renee's front porch.

Edward then takes a step in her direction. "Raven..."

She takes a step back, glaring at him with angry tears in her eyes. "Why would you do this to me? Do you hate me, now?"

He shakes his head. "Raven, no! I love you,"

She barked out a bitter laugh."You love me?" she shakes her head. "You brought me here just to listen to two jackasses tell me they didn't want me."

"Raven, we didn't not want you," Brian said suddenly.

She glares at him over Edwards shoulder. "Bite me, Brian," she turns her attention back on to Edward."You say that you know deep down I needed to know the truth?"

He nods.

She smiles a bitter, sad smile. "Well,  then you knew that deep down this would hurt me," she looks away from him and towards Regina. "I could have forgiven you if you'd at least left a letter explaining why you gave me away,  and or if you'd left me at the hospital," she forces back tears.  She wouldn't let them see her cry. "...but you didn't. You left me in my parents doorstep like yesterday's newspaper and for that I will never forgive you."

"Raven..."

She turns to Edward and takes his car keys from his jacket pocket,"Please,  don't come over tonight," she turns her back to him. "I don't - I can't look at you right now,"