[8]: lunch mates, not dates

[LUNCH MATES, NOT DATES]

EATING LUNCH WITH JASON WAS NICE.

"You know, it's just a menu," Sadie said after watching Jason study it for five minutes,
"Not Anna Frank's diary in original Dutch."

Jason rolled his eyes, but Sadie caught the tiny smile playing at the edge of his lips,
"What's good?"

"The quesadillas and migas are great, if you want lunch, but they serve breakfast twenty four hours here so I'm getting crepes. Their pancakes are really good too."

"Okay," Jason said and sat his menu down,
"I'm getting quesadillas."

The waitresses came by and refilled Sadie's pepsi and Jason's tea, took their orders, and left them in silence. It was comfortable, though. Sadie wouldn't mind spending every afternoon like this.

____

And Sadie does. Most afternoons, anyway, because they start eating lunch together just about every damn day after Sadie's classes. They even occasionally ate breakfast together.

(Sadie would almost think they were dates, if she was an idiot. Jason and her were lunch mates, they didn't go on lunch dates.)

Breakfast was probably her favorite because Jason only bothered to run his fingers through his hair instead of brush which made it a total, utter mess and he ordered coffee instead of tea.

"So," He asked mid-yawn during their sixth or seventh meet up, "Where're you from?"

"Huh?" Sadie busy on deciding whether she should get bacon or sausage and somewhat missed the question. It sounded personal.

"Where are you from? You don't seem like you're from Gotham."

Sadie wondered if Jason was fully awake because they never really talked about their personal life.
They usually ate and talked about nonsense.

"I'm not," she concluded after some time,
"I'm from Maine."

"Maine?"

"Yeah, you know," She pointed upward,
"North. I lived like an hour or so from Portland."

"So why'd you move to Gotham?"

"College, duh," Sadie said and kicked him playfully under the table,
"And I wanted change. Why are you asking? You think I should live somewhere else?"

"Yeah," Jason said, "Somewhere better. Brighter."
Sadie didn't believe there was a better place if Jason wasn't there.

____