Chapter Nine - The Demonic Tests

"Ms Krane, I have brought here a Violet Demoner," Zack says with a bow.

I stand at the carpet laid in front of the large desk, uncertain of the customs in the academy. I look around the headmaster's office. It is spacious, capable to fit a king-sized bed in front of the desk despite the wide office table and the packed shelves along the wall. A picture of a Minotaur demon, wielding an axe covered in blood, hangs behind her. A clock ticks above the framed art, a candle chandelier dangles on the wax-coated roof.

"Hm, a Violet Demoner? What is his name? Where did you find him?" Ms Krane asks with a faint surprise, her eyes train on me.

"He is Joel Lim, I found him at an orphanage with the humans, madam." Zack replies, leaning straight up.

"Interesting, let's use the demonic indicator shall we?" Ms Krane says, rubbing her hands together. With two claps, a fabric is laid on the ground by two guards, who are in the same uniform Zack is wearing.

The fabric has a circular shape, one side with the shape of two hands in a small rectangle, at the other end shows a meter from number zero to two hundred.

  "Let the test began," Ms Krane announces. "Mr Lim, please place your hands on over here."

  She pointes to the two prints of hands. I reached out both hands to the fabric. I can feel the liquid in my mind draining to my hands then to the fabric. A violet fluid flows through the meter, the numbers lighting up one after another.

  I shut my eyes, not wanting to see my results. But from the "Wow" coming from Ms Krane and Zack make me more anxious.

  What is my demonic point? How strong am I? What if it is too strong that I can't control it?

  Sweat starts to flow down my forehead as the last of fluid flow out. I huff and puff, my chest rising and falling heavily.

  "Mr Lim? Look up please," says Ms Krane.

  I look up and do not believe what I see, my hands trembling uncontrollably. The number ninety five flickers for a moment and glows solidly.

  "By god, a level ninety five? He can't be..." Ms Krane stammers.

  "For a moment I thought he was just enough demonic points to reach Violet but..." Zack's eyes widen with disbelief.

  "Mr Lim, please stay here for a moment, I need to talk to Zack," Ms Krane says to me, before turning to whisper to Zack. Both of them wear a worried look, once in a while looking around for inspiration for something, before continuing to whisper.

The guards come into the room to clear the demonic indicator and leave me standing on the spot.

What have I done? Was my demonic points so high that they are anxious if I lose control and attack the place? What will they do to me? Will they leave me to a separate place to control myself? I don't want to learn by myself. I'm a newbie, I have a low sense of control, I don't know my strength, I know nothing!

"Joel Lim, may I ask if I can do another test?" Ms Krane asks, a pinch of curiosity and concern in her voice.

I startle at her question, feeling even more anxious than before.

Another test? Am I that dangerous? What test will this be?

"Another test? What... what will it be for?" I splutter, anxiety slowly taking over me.